not connected at full capacity...

lg96gt

Beta member
hey all i use to be registered here but forgot all the login info and couldn't retrieve any of it...i created a new account but i have been out of the technology circle for a while...anyways i bought a new laptop on the ever famous black friday....besides the fact i have to snap the keyboard back into place all the time i'm not getting a full connection..its a HP dv5 laptop...its connected at "75mbps"...my other laptop, a gateway, wireless N capable also, as is the HP and it connects at "150mbps" how can i get the HP up to the full connection speed? its a buffalo router, i went into the settings and set it to "auto 20/40 htz" as that was the only thing i came up with in a search...any help?

Yes and yes, I've ran through all the updates...my hp can be sitting next to the router and 75 is as high as it will get...the gateway can be 50 feet away and still get 150...the hp has b/g/n as does the gateway, one other thing, I turned "b" off on the router settings, can't imagine that makes a difference though...

Have you checked the HPs power settings? Some new laptops "conserve" power with different power settings and don't send 100% power to the network card unless you tell it to.

Also in the device manager check the properties on the wireless adapter and make sure it says power 100% there.

checked the power settings in both places, both set to 100% one other thing...i live in the country away from any neighbors so we decided not to encrypt or password protect the internet or wireless at all..not sure if that would make a difference but i'm still sitting at half the connection i feel i should have...

Maybe the problem with wireless network adapter on your laptop?

can you elaborate?

would any of these settings make a difference?

Untitled.jpg

I know that you want to figure out why it won't connect at 150 like is it supposed to, but to be honest, unless you are transmitting a lot of data back and forth between your two computers, 75 Mb is plenty of speed to connect to the internet. You won't notice any speed diference connecting at 150 Mb or 75 Mb since your Internet speeds will be no where near that.

at first thats what i thought...until i used them side by side, browsing forums, facebook etc and found the gateway to browse faster and smoother....

That may be the case, but the speed shown is only the speed that the computer connects to the network, not to the internet. There are a number of factors that can effect the browsing speed of a pc (beside the interent speed you have) so a side by side comparision isn't always a good test.

Again, I don't know a solution to your problem, I'm just telling you that both computers are connecting at speeds way above the Internet speed you have so it won't browse any faster (IMO at least).

Back
Top Bottom