Norton Anti-Virus - How can I remove it?

the_person

Baseband Member
Hey people!
I recently installed Symantec Anti-Virus on my system and has caused a lot of trouble, first of all, the files seem to be corrupt or have not been installed properly. At the beginning, I could not go to desktop without the computer freezing and Symantec seemed to be the thing causing the problem, I had to go in safe mode and disable the application from starting. I have tried uninstalling the application manually but seems to be attached to .dll files rendering it as 'access denied' when i try sending it to recycle bin. When I try uninstalling the programme through add/remove programmes it comes up with an error....

"information regarding the condition of setup when the error occured"

The programme must be corrupt and im all out of ideas to remove it, it seems to be making my machine run EXTREMELY slower than usual and im desperate to get it off. I have tried numerous ways to remove it and nothing seems to be successful. Can anyone help? Running on XP Prof.

First exit it if it's running make sure all it's process's is off, then go to your hard drive where it is located and manualy remove it. I'm pretty sure that's all u need to do.

One option is to reinstall the program, that way you replace the corrupted unistaller with a fresh one...

Iv'e tried re-installing a fresh copy but when I click setup, it takes me straight to the uninstall screen so i'm out of luck there... Iv'e also disabled the programme from ever starting up on the desktop or under system processes, when I try manually uninstalling it says access denied because it has vital windows .dll files so im also out of luck there...

grrr still no joy, it justs sends me straight to the standard uninstall programme where it comes up with the same error...

Well, restore (start/all programs/accesories/system tools/system restore) Windows to a point previous to the installation of Norton that is known to be stable...

When I deleted it i did a "hardcore" delete. I went to the file location right click delete then when to my rycle bin and empited. Restarted never had a prob since :)

Back
Top Bottom