Noob's first build!

Well I looked up some charts on 3 gb of ram vs 2 gb of ram and 6 gb of ram vs 3 gb of ram on DDR3 memory and it would appear that having 3 gb of ram makes a HUGE difference in fps and load times over 2 gb. 6 gb vs 3 gb showed an enormous improvement as well.

Go Atomic! xD Jarl, To reply on your Triple Channel and is better then Dual Channel post. Right now, Dual Channel is better optimized then Triple Channel due to DDR3 just recently coming out, So they dont really know what to do with it yet. Triple Channel just has more dimm's in it and there isnt any Latency difference between Triple Channel and Dual Channel. Overall, There the same.

Yeah I have heard that too. Eventually though I feel that triple channel will be better than dual channel once it has been properly optimized.

But if you buy them now, They wont be, It'll only be properly optimized in future model's of it. So that's why Dual Channel DDR3 is the best for now.

But if you buy them now, They wont be, It'll only be properly optimized in future model's of it. So that's why Dual Channel DDR3 is the best for now.

I understand but if you look at the comparison charts you will see that triple channel did better in tests than dual channel did.

But, That's just one test, Dual Channel is still better.

if the two modes are the same than how is either one better...? just because AR said that triple channel DDR3 isn't better than dual channel DDR3 doesn't make dual channel better, they are equal from what I'm understanding, they are basically the same...

now true triple channel would be better in that there would be an extra stick of the memory in question, 3GB is always better than 2GBs given everything else is equal including the size of the modules...

but put one stick of each in any DDR3 slot, be it triple channel or dual channel mode and they will perform the same...

But, That's just one test, Dual Channel is still better.

um, no, AR may want to clarify this, but I don't think that's what he was trying to say...

Triple channel does have it's advantages over dual channel as it offers higher bandwidth and faster speeds. In many tests however, that advantage is not very much. If you are building a new system that supports triple channel, then by all means take advantage of it.

My original question in this thread was to see if jarlmaster was just regurgitating something he may have read, or was he actually knowledgeable in the subject.

Here's a good read on the memory configurations:

Exploring the impact of memory speed on Core i7 performance
A look at channels, bus speeds, and latencies

Pay particular attention to the 920 - 1066 @ 9-9-9-27 (Dual) and the 920 - 1066 @ 9-9-9-27 results. Those are the direct comparisons between dual channel and triple channel and will give a good idea of their comparative performance. Also note that the triple channel does come out ahead in some tests because it has 3GB available whereas the dual channel is only 2GB.

Yeah Atomic Rooster I don't know a terrible amount about triple channel memory. I was basically regurgitating what I read coupled with experience at seeing triple channel memory use in person.

Back
Top Bottom