noobish cd-r question

Ronco Rox

Fully Optimized
Messages
2,525
Location
1
today i bought a ps2 game called "Dance Factory". its like DDR but instead you put your own music in the game so it generates steps to the beats which is pretty cool. i tested it out on a rammstein cd that i had boughten and it works but it doesn't reconize CD-RWs, well at least it wouldn't work for me.

so i was reaing online that it does read CD-Rs. so i found one in my desk but it has pictures on it and i cannot delete any of them.

but when i try to place music files on it, it won't burn them because it says to put in a blank CD-R in and to continue the burn.

now i know the disk isn't full because there is 700mb of space all together and the pictures only take up 136mb and the song is 4.68 mbs.

do i need to buy more CD-Rs (which i'm going to have to do anyway) or am i somehow able to get music files on this one cd-r that i have? thanks.
 

VirtualDrone

In Runtime
Messages
451
You are going to have to buy more cd-rs. If won't let you burn because there is data on the disc so it doesn't read it as a blank disk (which you need). However this wouldn't be a problem if you had rewriteable discs because you could just delete the previous data and burn on the same disc again.
 

Ronco Rox

Fully Optimized
Messages
2,525
Location
1
i do have rewritable disks but the game doesnt read CD-RWs. so what your saying is that when you burn CD-Rs youhave to burn everything at once because when you want to burn more on the same disk it won't let you.
 

VirtualDrone

In Runtime
Messages
451
Actually I was wrong. I did some research and you can have multiple burn sessions. There is 2 main ways to record something onto a CD-R.

The first is "disk at once" where the data is recorded in one session and is then "closed" meaing that no more data can be added to the CD-R. This makes it a read only disk.

The next method is "track at once" where data is written to the CD-R one track at a time but the CD is left "open" for further recording at a later stage. It also allows data and audio to exist on the same CD-R.

So if you ever want to put something else on a disk later on select the "track at once" method. If you use Nero you can do this by finding the write method pull down menu and selecting "track at once". It should be right under write speed.

Hope this helps.
 

lhuser

Golden Master
Messages
13,147
What you're telling ATM, is that the disc is made Disc At Once. You should have a Multisession disc option to be enabled. Roxio actually owns on there.
 

VirtualDrone

In Runtime
Messages
451
lhuser said:
What you're telling ATM, is that the disc is made Disc At Once. You should have a Multisession disc option to be enabled. Roxio actually owns on there.
ATM? Who it that? Is that an alias for Ronco Rox or something? No I am not saying that the disc is made Disc At Once, I am saying that he put the write method as Disc At Once and if he wants to have multiple burn sessions he needs to use "Track At Once" or in Roxio's case Multisession.
 

Raffaz

Golden Master
Messages
6,798
Basically if you have finalized ya disc ya cant burn more to it. If ya have made a multisession disc, and left it unfinalized, you can add to it.
 

Ronco Rox

Fully Optimized
Messages
2,525
Location
1
well i figured that i could already but it was already a burnt disk that i didn't burn so it looks like i have to go out and get more cd-rs, thanks guys.
 

lhuser

Golden Master
Messages
13,147
VirtualDrone said:
ATM? Who it that? Is that an alias for Ronco Rox or something? No I am not saying that the disc is made Disc At Once, I am saying that he put the write method as Disc At Once and if he wants to have multiple burn sessions he needs to use "Track At Once" or in Roxio's case Multisession.
I knew that, but I should of quoted Ronco's post. It was intended toward him :p

ATM means At The Moment.
 

VirtualDrone

In Runtime
Messages
451
Raffaz said:
Basically if you have finalized ya disc ya cant burn more to it. If ya have made a multisession disc, and left it unfinalized, you can add to it.
Yes, that is what I just said.
lhuser said:
I knew that, but I should of quoted Ronco's post. It was intended toward him :p

ATM means At The Moment.
lol okay at the moment. I thought that it was directed towards me. My bad.
 
Top