Noobie Question

Stampy

Baseband Member
Yea, im just seriously becoming interested in computers other than their games... And I was just wondering something. Other than increase space, would upgrading my hard drive from 20Gb to 80Gb(Or any higher amount than 20Gb) Increase the speed along with increase space?

im no expert, but generally, if you want to increase speed you buy RAM. i have not in my experience increased speed from buying a new hdd.

Yea I know that much, im getting my RAM upgraded from 256Mb to 512Mb, nothin to intense. But I was just curious to if the hard drive increase speed any amount. Thanks for your reply though.

no problem, i updated mine actually from a 20gig to an 80gig just like u, but i didnt see a change in speed.

No, it won't upgrade the speed. If you want to upgrade the speed of your PC via a HDD upgrade, then you need to be looking for rpm speed. If you were buying a new HDD, you'd almost certainly get an SATA one, so don't worry about that.

Hitachi? I thought it was just Western Digital who had a 10,000rpm HDD? lol, i guess i'm a little behind.

As long as you have sufficient room for temporary files, nothing significant. You'd be better off upgrading ram, video card, or processor (in that order) for gaming, or otherwise ram, processor, video card. It really depends on what you have and what your using your computer for.

Back
Top Bottom