Noise when turning... Hmm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
100k is admirable on a clutch IMO, most people tend to do some harsh things to them when learning how to drive with that particular car/clutch.

This is something that happened slowly over time (could have been quick due to metal shavings) and wouldn't have been found without removing the valve body and inspecting it, which won't happen unless a shop is doing diagnostics trying to find a point of failure. The valve body is right above your filter, on the inside, it's the first place that really sees your transmission fluid, so if your getting shavings at that point, they will be pumped all over the transmission causing damage, it can be fast, it can be slow.

So to answer your question, "would the end user providing regular maintenance have caught this even if they were providing maintenance to the vehicle earlier than what was recommended?", no, they would not have noticed, nor would your dealer ship, as then they want the money to pull your transmission to service it fully at that point, any shop would, as the valve body is very delicate.

BTW, you wouldn't believe how SOFT that the aluminum on the inside of a transmission is, a shaving inside the valve body can very quickly in some transmissions kill it. BTW, a clutch going bad in a manual shift car isn't that bad to replace, far easier than anything in an auto.

I honestly think it's partially a design flaw on your car, with the fluid being worn and basically run it's life well before you noticed the slip, then again, on chevy impalas they have an issue with one of the shift solenoids in the valve body going bad, and it's just a $50 part, but will run you $1300 at a shop very easily, it isn't that it goes bad, but that the fluid life is very important to the smooth operation of that solenoid.

Lets look at a car on why this fluid is a bit more critical...

Inside your engine you have motor oil, it's meant to lubricate, carry away dirt into the filter, and to make up a small gap smaller than the thickness of a human hair around many parts, that is all it's meant to do, it gets dirty, very dirty FAST compared to transmission fluid due to the combustion cycle.

Now, inside your transmission, you have several gears moving around in a planet carrier, that must be lubricated as any metal moving around metal must be to keep heat down, and cause less friction. Now, you also have to have a fluid under pressure, and be very water like to be able to get into the millions of SMALL spaces of a valve body to be controlled. Now, on top of this, it must carry dirt away (clutch material, fine metal produced over time from gears in constant movement with each other) and into the filter and pass through that filter quickly, hence part of the idea for it being thinner.

A single metal shaving, can actually in most transmissions, if found inside that valve body, clog it completely, and ruin your transmission, this is due to how small those lines are, the shavings are probably being caused by two pieces of aluminum that have ridiculously tight tolerances to each other (your solenoid/valve that is inside the valve body, picture a piston) that for some reason aren't being lubricated, possibly due to some dirt forming at the bottom of the gallery, and it's now metal on metal, slowly pulling up a slice of aluminum each time it moves.

I am honestly thinking about buying a CD collection with all of GM's FSM so I can learn a bit more about how there transmissions operate.

BTW, here is half of a valve body, showing how small and how many small tubes your fluid is basically having to rush through... http://www.wwdsltd.com/4L60/4L60EUpperValveBodyCheckLg.jpg

Anyways, in the end I can't find much that it is a serious issue, just that GM has listed a TSB to GM service techs for something dealing with your transmissions valve body.

Can't help but to think they're related though... With my issue being the valve body and all. It makes you wonder how you can even get ten miles out of transmission with what you explained above.

Oh, they can take a decent bit of abuse before giving out, just depends on how much metal he found really.... My Intrepid, had a planet carrier partially fail (I THINK, as the last time that I had the exact same symptoms it was a carrier that failed), pulled the pan and I had some huge chunks of a gear down in the pan, got me from coatesville PA to charleston WV till she just gave out and couldn't go any further under her own power and this was AFTER I found chunks in the pan. But that was chunks of gearing, not slivers of metal, and it ended up in the pan before they could work there way into the valve body.

Transmission eventually over heated on the interstate going up/down them steep mountains at 80mph and dumped the fluid due to there being too much pressure and heat, probably had a mile worth of fluid on the interstate before I could safely pull over, it may have failed but IMO it held out like a champ trying to get me back home going up them mountains hauling everything I owned including my radio, almost sounded like I had a turbo at take off, but that was my transmission eating the clutch packs for 1st and second gears. Curious though, what's your current course of action?

Well, I had planned to just get the van (somehow) back home and let it sit until house settlement/move in is done with (after all, I have another car, and even if I didn't my crazy ass would just ride bike everywhere), then just save up and get it fixed down the road (I was aiming for late February). My intent was to get the more expensive option done. After all, we are talking about a big ticket item... while we had the chance I'd rather just get the upgraded option since the two were only ~400 or so apart. 2900 isn't too much harder to put down when you're cheapest option is only 2560. Nonetheless, right now I couldn't afford it and I really didn't care to worry about it with the housing stuff on the table. Once my dad heard this, he ended up calling the shop and authorized them to go ahead with the repair without me knowing until he told me later that night. He also has a friend who's into auto-body repair do some parts-buying which ended up discounting the overall price quite a bit. As a result, the van is getting a new transmission put in. He went with the more expensive option that I talked about.

Needless to say, I'll be picking up some more IT side work. I have a lot to do in 2012. I have a mortgage to work for now, a wedding to save up for, and of course a transmission to pay off. ;)

While we're on the topic of transmission health and preventative maintenance, I wonder what your opinion will be about this. This may be the manual roots in me speaking, but I always use the e-brake everywhere I go when I park, regardless of the vehicle. When an automatic is put in park and it has that little lurch of movement when you let off the brake, it just makes me cringe. In my experience, putting the e-brake on tends to grab the vehicle before its weight can actually move enough to utilize the built-in parking brake of automatic transmissions. Would you concur that it's a good practice? I would just think it would be semi less stressful to it. *shrug*

I still set the parking brake on my autos, it really is a safety thing IMO, auto's dont normally get thrown out of park, and the park pin dont normally sheer off, but crap happens, then you have a 3000 pound bull rolling towards ya.

All right bro. We're back in business. The new transmission shifts smooth as butter. No complaints so far. I need to take it back in a few weeks for a quick follow-up to make sure things look good. After that, the warranty kicks in. Glad this is all over with...

But, of course, I still managed to come back with a question. :p I've noticed something that my old 93 Grand Am GT and this Saturn Relay had in common (this is true both before and after the Relay trans rebuild). Besides the fact they are the only two vehicles I've owned that were automatic, I've also taken notice that if I'm coasting for more than a few seconds and I get back on the throttle, certain times I can feel a bump... not a big bump though. It's hardly noticeable unless you're the driver and you can make the distinct connection that the second you put your foot back on the gas + the distant bump you feel just might be related. Think of it like a bike. You're coasting. There's a transitional period between you beginning to move the crank again until the crank gets up to speed with the current momentum of the bike. The contact point when you reach the same speed as the momentum of the bike is similar to what I *think* I'm feeling. It was identical before and after the Saturn's transmission rebuild, so I have to assume it's not transmission related, and not all that uncommon if my first car did it too. Do you have any mechanical insight on it?

Sounds like your engine catching upto your transmissions input shaft speed, or the torque converters speed..... Not too sure on that one, I never really noticed it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom