Noctua NF-S12B FLX Case Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaymate

Golden Master

Noctua NF-S12B FLX Case Fan
By: Dan Durland

Introduction

Today I'm looking at a new fan design from Noctua, a well-known manufacturer of high-end cooling components. Chosen by noise conscious PC users, system integrators and industry clients alike, Noctua has become synonymous with impeccable quality, excellent customer service and class leading quiet cooling performance.

Features

• Highly optimised impeller with Beveled Blade Tips
    Thanks to its further refined blade geometry with extended leading edges and Beveled Blade Tips, the NF-S12B achieves up to 10% more airflow and static pressure than its much acclaimed predecessor at the same noise level.
  • 3 speed settings for full flexibility
    Providing 1200, 900 and 600 rpm speed settings via the supplied Low-Noise and Ultra-Low-Noise Adapters, the FLX (Flexibility) version can be fine-tuned for superior airflow or maximum quietness.
  • Smooth Commutation Drive 2
    The latest version of Noctua's advanced SCD drive system ensures superb running smoothness by eliminating torque variations and switching noises.
  • SSO-Bearing
    Noctua's time-tested SSO-Bearing technology has become synonymous with supremely quiet operation and exceptional long-term stability.

Specifications

• Size - 120x120x25 mm
  • Bearing - SSO-Bearing
  • Blade Geometry - NF-S12B Blade Design with BBT
  • Rotational Speed - 1200 RPM (+/- 10%)
  • Rotational Speed with L.N.A. - 900 RPM (+/- 10%)
  • Rotational Speed with U.L.N.A. - 600 RPM (+/- 10%)
  • Airflow - 100.6 m3/h
  • Airflow with L.N.A. - 75.8 m3/h
  • Airflow with U.L.N.A. - 49.2 m3/h
  • Acoustical Noise - 18.1 dBA
  • Acoustical Noise with L.N.A. - 10.6 dBA
  • Acoustical Noise with U.L.N.A. - 6.2 dBA *
  • Static Pressure - 1.31 mm H20
  • Static Pressure with L.N.A. - 0.76 mm H20
  • Static Pressure with U.L.N.A. - 0.34 mm H20
  • Input Power - 1.2 W
  • Input Current - 0.1 A
  • Voltage Range - 12 V
  • MTBF - >150,000 h
  • Warranty - 6 years
  • Scope of Delivery
    Ultra-Low-Noise Adapter (U.L.N.A.)
    Low-Noise Adapter (L.N.A.)
    4 Vibration Compensators
    3:4-pin Adapter
    4 Fan Screws
* extrapolated values

Packaging

The NF-S12B FLX comes in what appears to be the average box. But upon further investigation I found out the box has a flap that opens like a book, which contains a few design diagrams, plus Noctua own test results.

Inside the box we find the fan and all of the accessories in a preformed plastic compartmentalized container.

Image Gallery

The front and back of the fan and a close-up of one of the 7 unique beveled blade tips.

Here we have the accessories, from top to bottom they are:
  • 4 Fan Screws and the 3:4 pin Adapter (left to right)
  • Ultra-Low-Noise Adapter (U.L.N.A.)
  • Low-Noise Adapter (L.N.A.)
  • 4 Vibration Compensators

Testing

Testing the NF-S12B FLX fan will be kept fairly simple. Acoustical Noise levels at will be verified using the dBA meter built into my Mastech Digital Multimeter. And I'll use my La Crosse Technology EA-3010U Anemometer to take a wind speed measurement in km/h. Once I have the km/h reading I can plug that number into a flow rate calculator and determine the airflow in (m3/h) or (cfm). Noctua has also listed a Static Pressure value in (mm H20) which is virtually impossible to test with my limited resources.

Results

• 1200 RPM (+/- 10%)
    8.7 km/h = 57.9 cfm or 98.395 m3/h
    18.9 dBA

• 900 RPM (+/- 10%)
    6.8 km/h = 45.265 cfm or 76.906 m3/h
    10.7 dBA

• 600 RPM (+/- 10%)
    4.1 km/h = 27.292 cfm or 46.37 m3/h
    8.6 dBA

Overall my results are very similar to the specifications listed by Noctua and well within the (+/- 10%) RPM range.

Pros
  • Very Quiet
  • Good Airflow
  • Vibration Compensators
  • 6 year Warranty

Cons
  • Color
  • Expensive ($17-$25 US)

Conclusion

Overall I'm impressed with this fan; unlike some other manufacturers, Noctua has produced a fan that matches its listed specifications. While it's expensive and the color is rather boring you do get exactly what is advertised and that in itself is worthy of a 4.5 out of 5 star rating.
45star.gif

I would like to thank Noctua for allowing Tech-Forums to evaluate this product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom