No Sync / Going to sleep monitor problems..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willeh

In Runtime
Heya,

Recently upgraded my PC HDD [IDE Ultra Ata/100 80GB to 320 GB] and added a 512 mb stick of RAM. Now, when I boot up my PC, everything comes on, but the monitor just says going to sleep, when I try pressing the menu buttons and such on my monitor, it just says No Sync.

Please help:S - This has happened before the replacement / upgrading but at a lower less frequent scale..

I'm on a Packard Bell 5116SE Wins XP PC, here's the closest I can find to the specs on google:
http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?pn=P660412801&t=1409&c=142

[5117 SE]

Thank you. If anyone needs additional details.. feel free to ask

the only thing i would be able to relate it to is your video card and/or the pins on your monitor cable. try a diff card or monitor and see if the same problem occurs.

reseat your video card. if you have on board, then pull the cable from the power supply and open up the case. PUll the battery form your mobo and let it sit for about 10 minutes. reinstall the battery and let the system boot up. you will probably have to go into the bios and load the defaults or however you had it set up. but that should work...

Hmm, I tried it with a newer monitor and still no luck.

Nukem can you please explain the steps? It could probably work..

So I unplug the power cable.. open up the PC.. then?

Thanks

Stop everything !

Are you SURE that the computer actually boots up.
Just because it starts and the fans spin doesnt mean it boots.
You need to look at your post or purchase a pci post card to see if it actually boots up.
It could definetly be faulty parts, specifically the ram.

Also, to note. I owned a packard bell, it broke and at the same time they pulled out of the us, so i lost my support and warranty and was left with a hunk of junk. I didnt even have a motherboard. It was a tower with a metal box inside an empty box. The little box was 1/4 of the tower and contained the PSU, mobo and HD...

It should beep if it's the RAM at fault. Actually, it should beep pretty much no matter what unless it is actually booting and the monitor is screwing up.

Hmm well some background info..

I've had this PC for 3 ish years, originally came with just 512 MB RAM and Western Digital IDE 80 GB HDD..

Recently.. Everything boots - but my monitor just says going to sleep..

Today.. I just swapped my old HDD for a Seagate IDE 320 GB and added another 512 MB ddr333 pc2700 stick of RAM.. now all the lights in the tower comes up.. but the lights on my keyboard doesn't [could this be any sign?] and my monitor just says going to sleep and the LED turns from green to amber

pull out the new stick of ram and try it again... if it boots normally then it sounds like your mobo can only handle a certain amount of ram... you will have to find out the mobo specs and look them up. Is this a bought machine? if so what kind? that's a start. Now when you say you swapped out the hard drive... did you copy all your files or reformat the machine? or did you ADD a hard drive?

My Mobo can handle 1024 MB of RAM.. when I took one out the monitor still didn't work.. could it be the HDD?

I bought this machine.. It's a packard bell Imedia 5116 SE [if those are the details you wanted] specs are posted I think on the first post..

I just took out my old hard drive and placed my new one.. is that a problem..?

well yes, if that new one doesn't have a operating system on it then yep that might explain it... and the specs don't go into detail about the machine itself... just an overview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom