No Stupid Sound

ssc456

Fully Optimized
right,

my aunty phoned me yesterday and said she had no sound, so i remote assitanced her checked bottom right tray and there was no sound icon so i went to device manager and saw that multimedia controller had the yellow ! over it so i right clicked and updated,

but then it blue screened so i went over there got it up with last known config, and played for bout 2 hours with no success so i suggested she buy a new sound card, so she did and we plugged it installed fine and there is now a sound icon in the bottom right,

but still nothing will come through speakers keep getting some stupid error sayng there is no sound device installed on this pc,

so i check device manager and mutimedia controller still have ! over it so i try updating again and it blue screens, i didnt even think while i was there to write down the code of blue screen but i do know that when it updates the driver it copies loads of files to system32 then on the last file, Alcrmv.exe it blue screens, if thats n e help.

so here i am stuck here she is on xp home and i dont have a home disk to repair it with which is a pain in the ass, what can you guys suggest

Hmm... has she got onboard sound that is by any chance not configured?

Its possible when you selected to have the sound icon on, and then you tried to update, when it bluescreened, and you reset, the sound icon was still there from when you did it before, so isn't the new sound card working.

So try going into the BIOS, and making sure any onboard sound is off, before proceding.

Make sure the onboard sound is disabled first before you install the drivers for the sound card.

right ill def give that a shot but 1 question,

if i have put a new USB sound card on it does the old mutimedia controller need to be installed properly ? because thats whats giving me all the problems,

i tried disabling the multimedia vontroller that was giving me the problem with no change to the usb 1,

and i no the sound icon is def the usb 1 coz when i goto sound properties it says usb direct sound or something along those lines

Its possible the old sound card if its onboard is still activated then.

The USB one probably won't disable like a real one would.

Have you been into the bios to see if the on board sound has been switched of somehow, I don't think it will have but you should check anyway, now as your new card does not work then I'm thinking that the old one will work as well so try putting the old back in then let windows find it, now do you have an installation disc to install it, it will be on your motherboard disc if you have one, it will be something like AC97, once you install that then your card should work.

yeah dont have the motherboard disk my anuty was foolinsh and bought the comuter second hand at car boot sale, (market for americans)

she says it has never had sound and the sound card is on the motherboard and its in a small for factor case so instead of buying a lo pro sound card i went for usb,

i also thought the onboard should work seeing as the usb doesnt now. but i dont wonna admit to my aunty i made her buy something she didnt need lol.

n e ways im currently aquring a home sp2 disk ro repair the installation if diasbling the onboard doesnt work.

p.s if it helps when i try to update the multimedia controller it does say realtek ac'97, so i did try downloading lots of realtek drivers with no luck,

do you think a repair will work ?

Back
Top Bottom