No rep in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? Cause even just looking through the first few pages i see maybe 4 or 5 topics. Out of almost 100 topics 5 that are for real purposes that i can see where Rep should stand.

So we should leave it on for the minority? Sorry that makes no sense. More rep has been given in this area for comments made in the Longest Thread and joke threads than any other topic. I know cause i have seen the Rep just as Trotter has. It is for that reason that this is being put into place.

Not saying that, just saying there are some useful posts in OT.

Ofcourse the amount of crap far outweighs the useful posts.. but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Quite alot was an exaggeration.

Any user w/ less than 100 post count give neutral rep anyways.

That's one thing I would like to see changed. I mean, a ton of the people I help are newbs who've only joined the forum to get help for one problem. At least drop it to ~20 posts.

Looking at my latest rep sheet, 6 out of the last 10 people who gave me rep are greyed out. I know I'm not the only one this happens to, so I think 100 posts is a little high, just as giving rep to 20 people instead of 5 was also too high.

I have had plenty of times where all 10 of my last reps were from members who didnt have it count. Heck if i checked i wouldnt be surprised to see that i had at least half of the rep issued to me to not count. Does it bother me? No. I know that this is a arbitrary number just like the post count. Jsut because i have 24K posts does that mean that i know more or less than a new member that signed up with no posts? By no means what so ever.

But simply put, for some people seeing a post count and seeing a Reputation number does matter. They maybe the minority but still. For some reason they think that because someone has such a number in posts or so many rep boxes that they know what they are talking about and their advice should mean more. Is it right? by no mean. but it is a evil that is present.

Could there be a better system? Probably. Disable post count for every forum, disable the rep system and just let people post. But that would be chaos. In a way. People would be confused on whose advice to take when it came to situations as the advice can be on either end of the spectrum, so to speak. But at the same time everyone would be equal and all advice taken into consideration.

By no means is the system perfect. The numbers are meaningless in so many ways. But for some reason people just love to have them. there have been many times where i have wanted to edit my post count to nothing and see if my advice would still be taken into consideration. Even though i have posts all over the place. :p

Some people view rep as a buddy system, some view it for what it is meant for as a way to thank people for good advice. Some just dont use it at all. Who is right? Everyone and no one. There is never a good way to make it perfect. The only thing we can do is try to work with it and figure out a way to work with what we have.

I'm not losing sleep over the rep system lol, I just think if we're using it we may as well try and tune it into a system that actually works.

imo, the rep system is primarily useful because it's a rough guide (and when I say rough, I mean rough) to whether a person on a forum is considered helpful. It separates useful posters from post *****s.

You said a better system would be one where post count and rep are disabled on all forums, because then everyones advice would be taken equally.
What you have to realise though is that some people are more qualified and/or give better answers to questions than others. E.g. they aren't equal to other posters in terms of the level of knowledge and skill they have. Speaking for myself, I would rather get help from a person I knew to be a proper authority on the subject.

In a perfect world that's what the rep/post system would help. When people post an issue they're having, they know they can trust the responses they receive from people with high rep/post counts.

As you said though, the system isn't perfect, and compromises have to be made to ensure it isn't abused. I just think the system isn't as good as it could be yet, and we may as well keep experimenting until we find something better.

I think no rep in OT will do more good than bad, but there are some posts/threads where rep is deserving. A lot of stuff in OT is people getting their feelings out or ranting and then someone else offers consolation. Is that not deserving of rep? Mak's right though...to enable it for the minority of threads seems lame.

Personally I think rep is worthless anyway. The way the system works isn't really geared toward a "thanking" system. It's more like the post count; it just shows who the more active, popular members are. I've already suggested the hack I would use, but even that has it's flaws. Everything can be abused and there really is no system that's perfect.

What does rep get you any way? Is there more to it then just a "virtual slap on the back"? I thought that is all there is to it.

What does rep get you any way? Is there more to it then just a "virtual slap on the back"? I thought that is all there is to it.

It should be a tool that members use to let someone know that something they contributed was helpful to them, others or the community in general. The culmination of points / boxes should be used as an indicator as to which members are helpful, supportive, reliable and trusted in the forums.

That's the best case scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom