GraJohnson75

Baseband Member
Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension E310...

-Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz
-1024 MB of RAM
-160 GB Hard drive
-Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset

...and because Intel will not update their driver I cannot run Windows Vista Aero :(. I have read that you can install a new graphics card via a PCI-E slot but there is just one problem... my computer doesn't have one.

What are my options here? What can I do to make my computer Aero-capable?

if it doesnt have PCI express it should have an AGP slot surely?. If not I spose you could get an old geforce FX 5000 series graphics card that fit in a regular pci slot....I have one in an older computer here...probably pick one up for nothing on ebay ..should run aero at least.

I don't believe it has any AGP slots. I guess they thought it wasn't necessary to add a PCI-E because the chipset is built in to the motherboard.

My friend's Dell is like that. No PCIE or AGP. It's really stupid, he had to play BF2 on a FX5500, 12 FPS is not fun in a firefight.

Would I be better off with the GeForce FX 5000 than what I currently have?

you would be better off for sure if you can get one really cheaply....and I stress cheaply......but still dont expect it to play any new games with it though

Then it'll be okay. AS there is no PCI-E, you'll have only to refine to PCI...and if youdesperatelly want PCI-E, it'll need a soldering job...that not many can do.

^ yeah, but that depends on a) the motherboard having a space allocated for a PCI-E slot, and b) the chipset actually supporting PCI-E

Back
Top Bottom