GraJohnson75

Baseband Member
Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension E310...

-Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz
-1024 MB of RAM
-160 GB Hard drive
-Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset

...and because Intel will not update their driver I cannot run Windows Vista Aero :(. I have read that you can install a new graphics card via a PCI-E slot but there is just one problem... my computer doesn't have one.

What are my options here? What can I do to make my computer Aero-capable?

Lowndsey

Site Team
Staff member
if it doesnt have PCI express it should have an AGP slot surely?. If not I spose you could get an old geforce FX 5000 series graphics card that fit in a regular pci slot....I have one in an older computer here...probably pick one up for nothing on ebay ..should run aero at least.

GraJohnson75

Baseband Member
I don't believe it has any AGP slots. I guess they thought it wasn't necessary to add a PCI-E because the chipset is built in to the motherboard.

Cabbs

Golden Master
My friend's Dell is like that. No PCIE or AGP. It's really stupid, he had to play BF2 on a FX5500, 12 FPS is not fun in a firefight.

Lowndsey

Site Team
Staff member
Would I be better off with the GeForce FX 5000 than what I currently have?
you would be better off for sure if you can get one really cheaply....and I stress cheaply......but still dont expect it to play any new games with it though

lhuser

Golden Master
Then it'll be okay. AS there is no PCI-E, you'll have only to refine to PCI...and if youdesperatelly want PCI-E, it'll need a soldering job...that not many can do.

BrynF_UK

Fully Optimized
^ yeah, but that depends on a) the motherboard having a space allocated for a PCI-E slot, and b) the chipset actually supporting PCI-E