no option to access BIOS

VapePhoenix

Beta member
My new computer arrived today.
iBUYPOWER Gamer WA563R7 Black Desktop PC with AMD Six-Core FX-6300 Vishera Processor, 8GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive

It has an MSI motherboard 760GMA-P34 (FX)

I started it up, went through all the prompts to install windows 8.1. Got it to the desktop, installed VLC, started downloading a game, watched a movie from my portable drive.. everything was working perfectly. After installing AVG Free, it asked me to reboot, so I did.

The computer goes thru all the startup until it gets to the windows logo, then it just freezes. Occasionally it will display the same logo, and underneath it will say something like "starting automatic repairs" and then will stay frozen on that screen.

I am assuming this is an OS issue, so I want to re-install the OS. To do that, I need to access the boot menu, or the BIOS. Basically right now I am trying to gain access to ANY menu.

The motherboard manual says press DEL to enter bios. I spam the del key and it still goes to the frozen windows logo.

I spam ALL the function keys, and still it just goes to the frozen windows logo.

I opened the case, checked all the connections. I unplugged the connections and plugged them back in. I made sure the DVD and hard drives were plugged in the correct places on the motherboard.

The computer recognizes both the DVD drive and the hard drive during startup. The hard drive spins up. The dvd drive lights up.

There is no message on startup (which should be there) to press DEL to enter setup.

There IS a message to press ctrl A to enter hyper drive, but when I spam ctrl A, nothing happens, and it goes to the same frozen windows logo.

I tried disconnecting the hard drive data cable and power supply. When I boot it up, it STILL goes to the frozen windows logo.

I tried different keyboards. I tried different USB ports.

What is going on? Tech support is closed until monday. I do not want to wait another two weeks to get a new computer. I know the system works because it started up once.

I searched all over the internet and I have not found an answer that works. Most answers say I need to adjust certain settings, but my computer will not go to any menu or accept any input.

GRR!

If I ever get this computer working, I'm renaming it BRICK

The Del key is the right key to get to the bios set up options. Try disconnecting your hard drive and try booting again using the Del key to see if that will help

The Del key is the right key to get to the bios set up options. Try disconnecting your hard drive and try booting again using the Del key to see if that will help

He says he has, but then says it goes to the Windows screen, so hmmm.

I TOO WOULD RETRY DISCONNECTING ALL DRIVES, oops, then boot again.

Thanks guys. I think the problem is solved. I dug out the keyboard that came with the computer. I plugged it into a USB 2.0 (not 3.0) in the back of the computer. Not sure if the port made a difference, but as soon as I started pressing DEL key the computer acknowledged it with beeps. Lo and behold! I GOT TO THE BIOS! I switched DVD drive to the primary boot device and I am now INSTALLING WINDOWS 10.

My other keyboards were likely too fancy for the startup to recognize.

Can't wait to get my new brick up and running :p

It's not the keyboard's fault. It's where you plug in to the mother board. From the front or an external hub, it won't see them until the OS is well in to the boot up. Too late to get to the boot order menu.

My Intel board does the same thing. I keep a spare keyboard plugged in to a USB port that's fed directly off the mother board. If I need to get to the boot menu or safe mode I just whip it out and use that.
The USB headers that feed the front USB ports are not brought up right away in the boot up process. But the USB ports hardwired to the board are.

It's not the keyboard's fault. It's where you plug in to the mother board. From the front or an external hub, it won't see them until the OS is well in to the boot up. Too late to get to the boot order menu.

My Intel board does the same thing. I keep a spare keyboard plugged in to a USB port that's fed directly off the mother board. If I need to get to the boot menu or safe mode I just whip it out and use that.
The USB headers that feed the front USB ports are not brought up right away in the boot up process. But the USB ports hardwired to the board are.

That's not true, of course your front USB ports are picked up before the boot, the bios does a check of all hardware connected devices...

Yes back ports are faster because they are connected to the mobo but you won't normally notice this... :cool:

Incorrect. The USB headers that feed the front USB are just as hardwired as those on the rear, and they all come up roughly at the same time. They'll likely have a different USB controller, and so will be initialised one after the other, but there's no guarantee which one will be initialised first or second.

Evidence for this is that you can install Windows, or update your BIOS, via a front USB port.

Well sir on my Intel DZ77GA-70K mother board the hard soldered USB ports (Hard soldered in to the mother board on the back) come up first then the headers on the MB that have the case front USB ports plugged in to them. For me to get to safe mode or bios features, I have to have a keyboard plugged in to the back ports or its no joy.

Back
Top Bottom