No Internet After Router Reset.

colorblindjimbo

In Runtime
My girlfriends family has been having some problems with the internet, here is what happens:

1. Internet will work fine for most of the day
2. It suddenly stops working, but they have been able to get it to work by rebooting the router/modem to reset it.
3. This has been happening more and more frequently, and sometimes rebooting the router/modem will not work.
4. They decided to replace the router, and the problem persists
5. I went over their house the other day to check it out, and tried to get into their routers configuration page, but apparently during setup her father changed the router password and couldn't login.
6. I reset the router (holding down the reset button for 15 seconds etc...).
7. I was able to login to the routers configuration page using the default password
8. I setup the router, and the local intranet works fine (connecting to the router is no problem), but there is no access to the internet.
9. Assuming I may have messed something up with their router I tried to bypass the router by plugging one of their computer directly into the modem
10. I never got an IP address when connecting to the modem directly, and it kicked into APIPA.

Note: This is a Westwell Modem using Verizon DSL. The router is a brand new WRT54G.

I'm thinking that the connection from the modem to <insert device here> is not working. We have tried 2 different laptops, a router, and even switched between two different cables and no dice. I have also tried resetting the modem, and rebooting(resyncing) multiple times.

Any ideas? Think its the modem? I find it wierd how the internet was working before I reset the router, and as soon as I did that the internet stopped working... but I cannot get online even through a direct connection.

I haven't worked with DSL much, is there something else I should do which is different than Cable?

Is the PC connecting wireless or LAN?, have you input all the ISP settings in, in the configuration page?, have you checked your firewall on the router or PC, Did you set up encryption on the router (WEP/WPA) if so have you set your PC to share fr that network with the password encryption key. have you tried going onto the router manufacturer website and checked the configuration settings or set up to what you have already done?

If you are getting constant connection problems regardless of your hardware, I would take it up with your ISP. There may be a physical fault with your phone line itself (seeing as you are on ADSL rather than cable). Sometimes, if there is noise on the line or a transmission failure the connection will completely drop. The ISP will probably take it up with the telecomms company for you, at least that is how it works in the UK.

If you are getting constant connection problems regardless of your hardware, I would take it up with your ISP. There may be a physical fault with your phone line itself (seeing as you are on ADSL rather than cable). Sometimes, if there is noise on the line or a transmission failure the connection will completely drop. The ISP will probably take it up with the telecomms company for you, at least that is how it works in the UK.
It was the modem. Her father brought it back, and got a new one for free and it's been working flawlessly for about 2 days now.

Back
Top Bottom