No Internet after reinstalling Windows XP

chickenkod

Beta member
So my computer was extremely slow, so I finally decided to reformat the hard drive and reinstall windows. The problem is now I can't connect to the internet via my modem. Its a Westell WireSpeed modem, and I have Gateway 500S series PC. I have tried various things such as unplugging modem and restarting. I have tried the Winsockxpfix. When I connect the modem to my laptop though, it works perfectly fine, and before I reformatted my desktop, it worked perfectly fine (although it was a bit slow).
I try to renew my IP address through ipconfig, but it gives me the error: Unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

This is my ipconfig /all information:

WIndows IP Configuration
Host name: home
Primary Dns Suffix:
Node Type: Unknown
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enable: No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 1:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Description: Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Physical Address: 00-07-E9-A6-17-82
Dhcp Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.172.183
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway:

I have no antivirus software or firewall program enabled. I have checked to see that my DHCP and DNS services are enabled and my network connections say I am connected, but I am not receiving packets, I am only sending them.
Any help would be much appreciated!

go into device manager is your modem in there? if so is there a yellow warnng icon next to it? right click your modem icon and select propperties and see what it says.

I don't think the modem that is listed in my device manager is actually my modem, it was simply the driver i downloaded form the gateway disc. In order to install the hardware for my new modem, I insert the verizon disc, and it says I have to have an internet connection, which I don't, so I can't complete the installation.

But anyways, under Device Manager, my modem is:

GTW V.92 Voicemodem

It says its working properly and everything.

Yes you right that is the one built into your PC that came with your gateway, is there no Westell WireSpeed modem drivers or installation disc, usually you run the disc install the drivers then plug the modem in and input your user name and password and select connect.

The thing is, that my laptop that I am on right now, doesn't have the modem drivers or anything either. I literally just plugged the ethernet cable in, and 2 seconds later, went on the internet.

Open up your computer and see if the ethernet plug plugs into a network card. If it does then it probably needs drivers. Try and get a model and a model# and google the drivers.

Back
Top Bottom