NO DSL! satelite.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

eatbutt

Banned
well ive got dial-up, and i live in a rural part in the middle of nowhere, so i cant get DSL. I talked to my parents about satelite though and they are leaning towards it more and more, even thoguh it costs almost 100 a month for the first year!!!

so how does Satelite compair to DSL? like speed???
somebody told me bad weather means no internet...?????
does anyone know of any CHEAP satelite providers? i live in AZ
what is normal speed for satelite???:confused: :confused: :confused:

Satellite is like very slow DSL....your download speeds range from 20 KB/sec to 50 KB/sec, which is very good compared to dial-up, but nothing compared to Cable or DSL. They will charge you around $100 per month for it. The worst part about satellite is that there is a download cap of 168MB per day. If you go over this cap, they shut you off for 24 hours. Sometimes bad weather affects the signal, particularly in lightning or snowstorms. See if you have a fixed wireless option before you get satellite.

"See if you have a fixed wireless option before you get satellite." whats that mean?

also i heard a friend say something about Wireless DSL??? is that around? is it good? is it for rural places liek satelite?
and plz continue the first questions

eatbutt said:
"See if you have a fixed wireless option before you get satellite." whats that mean?

also i heard a friend say something about Wireless DSL??? is that around? is it good? is it for rural places liek satelite?
and plz continue the first questions

Wireless DSL is the same thing as fixed wireless....its for rural areas as well. Instead of pointing your dish to space, you will point it to a tower....this method is much better than satellite. Satellite should only be used as a last resort.

Well, when I had fixed wireless, I paid $85 for about the same speeds as I would get with satellite. It was better though because there wasn't the download cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom