Next step in IT career path

mdfasoline

Beta member
Hello,
Let me start out by saying I am a new member to this site and relatively new to the field of IT. After reading tons of threads on the topic, I figured I would start one in hopes of receiving some more personal advice on the next steps I take in IT. I'm currently studying to receive my bachelors of IT at a California state university. I have about another 2 years or so before I graduate. I recently left my job working for AT&T as a retail sales consultant. AT&T provided a decent paying job (at least 40k/yr + benefits) for someone with no experience, but I feel it's time for me to venture into IT to get some hands on experience. I understand that an entry level job such as Help Desk support isn't going to pay more than $15/hour which I am okay with and I'm willing to work my way up.

Reading through the threads, I noticed a lot of emphasis on the A+ and Net+ certs in order to get your feet wet and prepare for IT jobs. While I have a good general knowledge of computers, hardware, software, etc., I haven't been very hands on with hardware/networks/servers. I'm a very visual learner and feel like I benefit from being in a classroom setting with an instructor, as opposed to ordering study material for A+ and Net+ and studying in my free time. One local "training bootcamp" I found on Vocational Schools for Cisco Training, Microsoft Training, NetApp Training, CompTIA Training, Healthcare Training, Nursing Training, EMT Training - Unitek Information Systems - Unitek.com seems like a good jumpstart but is really expensive (3k for a 4-day A+ bootcamp) in addition to my CSU tuition. I don't know if the bootcamp is really worth it and was wondering if anyone has an opinion on those. Looking through the prep questions on CompTIA's website, I can say that I can answer less than half of them correctly. Most of my IT courses thus far at CSU have been primarily javascript, C-programming and assembly language which won't help me much with these exams. I'd really like to just take the bootcamp, pay the money, and get it under my belt and out of the way. Ordering the materials and studying myself makes me a worry a little, only because I have a tendency to do as little studying as possible just to pass, and I'd rather really understand the core concepts and get some hands on experience to help set myself up for success. Any advice on training bootcamps, A+ and Net+ certification, or just general information on how to get started is much appreciated.

There is no way in hell that an A+ bootcamp is worth 3k. I can't think of any cert that I would pay that much to train for - certainly nothing below CISSP or CCIE.

Doesn't your school have any computer hardware courses? It would be really odd if there's an IT program but no hardware course - keep in mind that IT is different from CS. It would make perfect sense if there is a CS program and no hardware courses. Your school is the first place I'd check - if your school really doesn't have any hardware or networking classes then I would check out a community college that has them. I don't know how much it would cost in CA but it'll be a hell of a lot less than 3k for a single bootcamp on an entry level cert. I also have my doubts on how much knowledge you'll absorb in four days if you're starting from scratch. I mean, if you can't tell me the difference between volatile and nonvolatile memory then I don't like your chances.

If nothing else, at least look for a cheaper bootcamp. Maybe it's just the inflated prices in CA, but 3k is ridiculous.

Self study is always the most cost effective, of course. All I'm saying is that, for 3 grand, I would need a much bigger return on my investment - something much better than 4 days of training for A+.

Edit: I also wanted to mention that your customer service background will help and it's something you should play up when you go job hunting.

Last edited:
There is no way in hell that an A+ bootcamp is worth 3k. I can't think of any cert that I would pay that much to train for - certainly nothing below CISSP or CCIE.

That's what I figured haha. That's almost what I pay for a semester of college. Anyway, thanks for confirmation on that.

I understand the difference between CS and IT, but for some reason my IT courses have been pretty programming intensive. I'm not sure if they just start us out with an introduction to C and assembly so we have a general understanding of it and then just move on? I haven't taken any courses on hardware yet which seems odd. I haven't even seen an elective course on hardware when looking through the catalog. I'll ask around and look at some junior colleges too, that's a good idea. Do you think taking a general computer hardware course will be sufficient for passing A+? Maybe with that and some supplemental studying I'll be good to go. I understand a good amount of theoretical stuff when it comes to hardware as far as types of memory and what not, so I wouldn't say I'm starting from scratch necessarily. I just haven't been very hands on when it comes to taking apart or building computers which is what I'm looking for. I'll definitely play up my customer service experience, thanks for the input!

If you are computer literate then you'll be fine with a single hardware course and a study guide. Just remember that the exam does cover some outdated technology.

You don't need hands-on hardware experience for A+, although it's always good to have and it can help you learn. When I passed my A+ all I had ever done with hardware was swap out video cards.

For the A+ and Net+ all you need is a book and a desktop at home. There is no need to waste that much money for those level of certifications.

The A+ really doesn't test much hands-on stuff IMO anyways, it's about properly troubleshooting and knowing specific PC parts / specifications (IE ram types, cable types, ect).

I would purchase a Mike Meyers book and watch all of the videos at Professor Messers website: Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training

After that you should be able to pass the A+. At which point you can start figuring out what you like and what your next step is (IE Network, Windows, Cisco, Ect)

Get more hands on with the technology like actually virtualizing some servers and play with them and I would personally recommend focusing more on vendor specific certifications like Microsoft, Cisco, VMware, etc. Do some of the labs on TechNet that Microsoft puts out there for free. Find what you like to do and stick with it. Learn the new technology and stay up to date and current with it.

For the A+ and Net+ all you need is a book and a desktop at home. There is no need to waste that much money for those level of certifications.

The A+ really doesn't test much hands-on stuff IMO anyways, it's about properly troubleshooting and knowing specific PC parts / specifications (IE ram types, cable types, ect).

I would purchase a Mike Meyers book and watch all of the videos at Professor Messers website: Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training

After that you should be able to pass the A+. At which point you can start figuring out what you like and what your next step is (IE Network, Windows, Cisco, Ect)
This. Seriously, I studied for the a+ for about a month. I read Myer's book cover to cover and watched Messer's videos. Passed with flying colors. Don't pay 3k for something you can get for about 60 bucks. (for meyer's book, Messer is free!)

Back
Top Bottom