Next Apples

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aspirin

Baseband Member
An Apple guy was telling me the next generation of Apple computers will all PC architecture (No G6!) and will be able to load up either the Apple or Microsoft operating systems. Is this true?

Well, I think we are talking about two different things. You are referring to the current production systems using Intel chips and I am talking about a new chip they will be announcing for use (for the first time) toward the end of this year at their annual hoopla. I am talking about something new.

I'll get the info and post it when I see my Apple friend (he works for Apple) next week. I'd like more opinions about Apple's future strategies as well. Peace.

What else could you be talking about?

No G6, O RLY?

New PC arcitecture? OH, you must mean the Intels, that are a different arcitecture than the previous Gx processors. Not to mention that they are "PC" architecture. The Intels are new, they replaced what would be the G6. The next set of Apples will be the next revision of Intels. Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Solo, A.K.A. Conroe. And yes, they will probably be out by the end of the year. My guess is the Intel Powermac will be Core 2 Duo. I expect it will be out in August.

Makes sense that that's what he was talking about. But really, it's just a speed jump from the Core Duos they use now. I just hope they don't come out the day after I get my Macbook Pro, because that would set me OFF! :p

The General said:
Makes sense that that's what he was talking about. But really, it's just a speed jump from the Core Duos they use now. I just hope they don't come out the day after I get my Macbook Pro, because that would set me OFF! :p
Conroe's a desktop chip...

Merom is the mobile chip that will become the Core 2 Duo.

And they'll both be something more than a speed bump, you don't get a whole new chip design for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom