Newguy would like to be more knowledgable

Notsobright

Beta member
Hello everyone, i'm a newbie to the forum and quite frankly some what a newbie on computers. I recently gained a liking to this, and although i am reading articles all over the net. I sometimes have questions that aren't answered to my "language".

To what i am considering is upgrading my comp to a higher CPU, although from some studying i have done leads me to think its at its best. But i'll let you be the judge of that.

My current CPU is a Celeron(type unsure, perhaps northwood) . 2.7ghz, 400FBS, 512kb cache.

Motherboard, from info i got on the official site. Takes 478 type CPU, also 400FBS.

This information is what i would consider useful from my reading, unless im wrong. Do explain what else in necessary.

Also the MB has 2 DIMM slots. When i read product specification, it says max memory allowed 1gb. However, when i read motherboard details it say max hold is 2gb. Does this mean it can hold 2gb, but it will only give up to 1gb?

You have some old technology on your hands. Even though it would be cheap to upgrade, you wouldn't last very long in the new market.

It really wont be cost effective to upgrade your CPU as the socket 478 is/has been phased out. I'm sure you could find a compatible Pentium 4 CPU on eBay.

Typically, when a max memory is stated, that is the maximum amount of memory that the motherboard is capable of running. It seems your motherboard is capable of using 2x 1GB memory modules for a total of 2GB.

Due to the age of your system and the advances in today's technology, you may be better off just jumping into the deep end of the pool and building a new system.

Back
Top Bottom