Newegg rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading about that ultra high speed fan customer reviews the other day
All the customers were saying that its so loud the neighbors could hear it (which seems to be true)

Anyway just for nerdy techy fun, I decided to check online reviews across Google (yes I'm about the only one who still prefers Google)
Well all the reviews stated how wonderful it was, but it was a bit loud !
lucky I read the customer reviews at Newegg, else I may have bought it thinking arr it couldn't be that loud

Yes I start with the customer (1 day or 1 week, kid sales reviews) then I check the real reviews online (there's usually dozens of tech sites)

The sound of a fan or something trivial like that I see no problem in relying on reviewers for that at all. But when researching new hardware or looking to buy...that's a different story.

But a customer is just that. There's no credibility. I would trust select members here and on other select forums that I know know something before I trusted a random "customer's review".

Well, except for maybe die hard fans of certain brands, most customers are honest with their reviews; And if there are enough reviews out there, those die-hard fan reviews become negligible.

I obviously wouldn't use the rating system to see if a 4890 is better than a 270 based on reviews; i would use benchmarks and credible big-website reviews for that. I would however use it for picking out a particular brand of video card. if XFX has 5 eggs and HIS has 2.5 stars, the egg system would definitely come into play. Or as someone said, excessive noise would be pointed out by normal customers. It also gives you a pretty good idea on how a chip may overclock. If most people who tried to OC could barely get 200mhz, then its a sign that your chip may not overclock too well. If a BUNCH of people get at least 1000mhz OC, then there's a good chance that your chip will OC somewhat well.

If i see over 20 reviews and only 2 eggs; i don't even browse that product (unless i wanna see specifically the bad reviews).

I will cruise the customer reviews, looking especially at the one and two egg reviews. Most of them just show the user's ignorance, but some show real issues. I will also check the three and four egg reviews as they will show the more minor points. I completely skip the five egg reviews.

If I am just doing a cursory glance, I look at the composite that shows how many of each the product has gotten.

Well, except for maybe die hard fans of certain brands, most customers are honest with their reviews; And if there are enough reviews out there, those die-hard fan reviews become negligible.

I obviously wouldn't use the rating system to see if a 4890 is better than a 270 based on reviews; i would use benchmarks and credible big-website reviews for that. I would however use it for picking out a particular brand of video card. if XFX has 5 eggs and HIS has 2.5 stars, the egg system would definitely come into play. Or as someone said, excessive noise would be pointed out by normal customers. It also gives you a pretty good idea on how a chip may overclock. If most people who tried to OC could barely get 200mhz, then its a sign that your chip may not overclock too well. If a BUNCH of people get at least 1000mhz OC, then there's a good chance that your chip will OC somewhat well.

If i see over 20 reviews and only 2 eggs; i don't even browse that product (unless i wanna see specifically the bad reviews).

I don't know, for me it's different. Like I said in a previous post, if I saw 1-2 eggs after 15 reviews, then yeah I will definitely not go for it. I just wouldn't use newegg reviews as a place to gather data on expensive hardware. I feel the need for more information and from more credible people. But that's not the topic...the topic is the egg counter, and you are right, in the situation where there's 100's of people voting and XFX has 5 eggs versus HIS for 2.5, most definitely would veer towards the XFX product. But before purchasing, I would verify it else where outside of newegg reviews.

edit: not trying to say every newegg review comes from an incompetent person, but you just never really know the person's experience.

Most of the Customer Reviews are a joke, written by people that have no idea what there doing. They may be honest, but I'm not impressed by an honest idiot. I read the reviews posted on Honest Hardware Review Sites and I make my decisions before I ever get to Newegg.

I'll look over the Newegg ratings and reviews and see what the general consensus is on the hardware. usually I already have a good idea on what I'm going to get before I go to Newegg, but I use their review system as a bit of a "crutch" to see what most people agree upon with it (I read both the positive and negative reviews, because sometimes the negative reviews are just stupid and moronic).

Man, I'd never take whats writen on newegg, or any store as truth.. Most of the reviews are a joke.
12yos procliaming to be masters of info, reporting a day after they got it thagt its wonderful, or horrible.

I google reviews and read on forums what peopole think of it.

Whats worse then people writing a review after one day is people who buy it and write a review about it before its even been shipped to them.

Something like "I just bought this I haven't used it but it looks really good. 5 eggs"

The eggs do influence me a good amount. For example I won't buy a product that's rated 2 eggs with like 200 reviews. Also depends on the number of ratings though. Because if it's one rating that's rated it low or high you can't really judge based off such few reviews. I don't only buy off of Newegg reviews though. Sometimes I try to see if someone I know has the product and then I ask them how they like it etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom