newby

jlb

Beta member
Hi, Hello to everyone as I am new to this forum. I have posted a thread on the software bit and I'll tack it onto this one for good measure. Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi, Like to say hello being a newby to this forum. I am in need of a bit of help with my pc. It's a Dell running vista. I re-installed the software using the dell reinstallation dvd as it had lost a few files due to me uninstalling a couple of programmes.
The problem is I can't get the dvd player to work properly--when I try to watch a dvd on it the picture is scrambled.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
John

Welcome to ComputerForums.org:)

You say you reinstalled vista?
Meaning you did a complete reinstall? Because that would mean you formatted your hard drive you would have lost everything unless you backed up your data.
Unless of course you have a separate drive that you install your programs and keep files on. Then again you would still have lost your registry.

Anyway, most likely you have a bad driver for the DVD drive.
What is the make / model of your computer.

If you have a different DVD drive that did not come with your computer please list this instead.

Hi, thanks for the reply, i used the dell reinstallation disc. It's a Dell dimension 9200 and the drives are original. Both drives have the same problem. Apart from doing another reinstallation i haven't got a clue what to do. I would have thought that if it was a driver problem it would'nt have affected both of them as they have different drivers.
Regards, John

Hi, thanks for the reply, i used the dell reinstallation disc. It's a Dell dimension 9200 and the drives are original. Both drives have the same problem. Apart from doing another reinstallation i haven't got a clue what to do. I would have thought that if it was a driver problem it would'nt have affected both of them as they have different drivers.
Regards, John

Since it was a re-installation it would delete almost all drivers. At least the ones with out the initial support.
You usually get a driver disc with your PC, I wouldn't suppose you still have this CD?

One of the easiest things to do is this.

Go here: http://support.dell.com/support/dow..._PNT_9200_XPS_410&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Once the page has loaded I want you to click "Change Your Product".
(make sure you have JavaScript enabled on your browser, if you are not sure; then you probably do)

A window will pop up, click enter Service tag.
Enter your service tag, you will get a complete list of drivers, updates, and firmware that your computer uses.

Back
Top Bottom