Newbie with a process control question

punkieys17

Beta member
Hi guys and gals,

I'm helping out a friend who is developing a new pump system. It has a complex control system that needs rapid response to input and output to be part of a closed loop control system.

We've worked out the flow diagram of the control softwar and now have to move to programming a computer controller to execute.

We initially looked at a high end Progammable Logic Controller - but the progranmming is a nightmare and is a bif step from what is a simple flow diagram.

I've programmed in the bast in basic (don't laugh please - it shows my age), fortran and Pascal, but can pick up anything pretty quickly.

I am tending towards a PC with a digital IO board due to the simplicity (need some 8 input and 8 outputs, potentially more with the next version) and am stuck on what programming language to go with.

Are there any languages out there with compilrs that can take a flowchart?

I like the idea as the friend is a genius - but not in tech so a visual program is easier to talk through.

Your suggestions would be very, very welcome,

Julian

The closest thing that I know of is UML. I've heard of programs that can perform "round-trips" such that the diagram can update the code and the code can update the diagram. However, I've never seen this working, I've never heard of it being used for a serious application and I doubt that it would be compatible with your requirements. So in short, no, you will not be able to program directly with a flowchart.

Hi guys and gals,

Are there any languages out there with compilrs that can take a flowchart?

I like the idea as the friend is a genius - but not in tech so a visual program is easier to talk through.

I think you will want to find a software that allows you to build the system using a gui. i know of several softwares that allow users to build systems using flowcharts. Then, a separate software uses that information to run the automation.

The link below is my suggeston for your needs. However, I'm not sure if it can be intgrated into your specific case scenario.

SyringePump.com - Pump Software

Back
Top Bottom