newbie problem please help

wigan

Beta member
hi, i have been given a computer that i want to get working i have med level knowledge.
firstly the motherboard is a epox ep-4pead running a intel 2.4 and 1g ram the person who gave it me said it kept turning off and he took the hard drive out and gave it to me.
i have put a small 8g drive that i had lying around that has 98 on and when you turn the comp on all i get to is the 98 screen then a black screen with flashing cursor.
i have put my xp disc in and booted from the cd when it gets to the "do you want to format c drive and i press enter the computer shuts off.
there is a code display on the board that is displaying FF.
can anyone think of the problem and what to try ? thanks in advance

The FF code usually means that the motherboard has posted normally.

You may have either a bad stick or two of memory or even a bad power supply. Would you happen to have another known good power supply you could try in this machine?

i have another computer but its a p3 so not sure if its the same supply or not will have to have a look. i will also see if i can find the manual on the net

mostly some of the later models have a 24 if im not mistaken just make sure the psu fits the board all psus will work if the pins line up properly.

ok will have a look just dont wanna go buying one if i will end up throwing the whole thing away

Back
Top Bottom