newb looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foyman

In Runtime
Hi, I want to upgrade my ram from 512mb (256x2) pc 3200 to 1 gig (512x2) pc 3200,, and I'm not sure which ram to buy, my price range is about $100-$150, if you could tell me which would be the best to buy for my price range.

If you are going to overclock then that would be good RAM for you.

If not, then dont spend extra money on RAM that you arent going to fully utilise.

The expensive RAM wont perform any better unless it is used for overclocking. Its actually quite useless to waste money on OCing RAM that isnt going to be OCd.

Well he said the TwinMOS will overclock nicely, I just don't know how to OC yet but will probably find out soon and do so. But in your opinion Elbatrop1 do you think the TwinMOS would be pretty good w/o being oc'd for the meantime?

Well, in another thread, Nubius recommended that TwinMOS for cheap OCing.

If your motherboard supports dual channeled RAM, then make sure to get 2 sticks.

Also, if your computer was built by oem, then you can't overclock cause they usually lock it.

Hacp said:
Also, if your computer was built by oem, then you can't overclock cause they usually lock it.

He said his friend built it for him, so it's not OEM. And they dont always lock it so you cant, just more often than not they do. They also load it with crap parts that are not good for overclocking and it is very advisable to not OC those parts.

Like Elba said, if you are not going to OC, than some good ValueRAM will be quite sufficient for you. Overclockign is not the easiest thing to do, i suspect that if you dive into it you will burn something out. You should do alot of research on the subject. My friends brother told me he was going to get a certain moetherboard because his freidn said it was good for overclocking. It wasnt, it was a crappy $50 mobo. My friends brother also didnt know what a processor was, so he certainly wasnt ready for overlclocking. You have to have adequate cooling, among several other things. Dont look at overclocking right now, look at what would suit you the best, and I believe that right now the best would be some good ValueRAM. Go with Elba's first suggestion, the Kingston. For stock sticks running stock speeds, they work great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom