*new* wood case worklog

Status
Not open for further replies.

harry18

Daemon Poster
well after much delay i have finally started work on my new wooden case project.
many hours of planning have resulted in the design:
case.jpg

i started making it, and so far have this, one side:
182024.jpg

182148.jpg

my design showed the top being alot flatter, so i may make some adjustments

Could we order those? :p

lol, but wouldn't a WOODEN case ground the computer? :x I don't know much about electricity but I do know that wood+electricity=no good.

although come to think of it the problems in cases is when they are made of conductive materials that when some sort of electricity or static electricity goes into them then they ground the rest of parts.

but still in common sense wood + electricity powerd machine = just doesnt sound promising.. but its probably just me and my wicked 'logic' if you can call it that way, lol.

but I do know that wood+electricity=no good
I hope you aren't basing that off of lightning hitting trees.

Wood won't cause the computer any harm and won't conduct anything. Wood CAN conduct electricity to some degree but it's not going to be a problem for him especially since it's gonna be dry and treated wood.

Plus this isn't the first time wood has been used for a case.

http://www.lehigh.edu/~amb4/wbi/kwardlow/conductivity.htm

G. Electrical ResistanceWood is a good electrical insulator. However, sig-nificant variations in conductivity do exist. These variations in electrical resistance can be related to variations in grain orientation, temperature, and moisturecontent. The conductivity of wood in the longitudinalaxis is approximately twice that in the radial or tan-gential axes. The electrical conductivity of wood gen-erally doubles for each 10 oC increase in temperature.Generally, variations in conductivity related to wooddensity and species are considered minor.

That has a nice, sleek style to it. Looks great. But, a wooden case... mm... probably wouldn't be my preference. Make sure you really smooth it out to eliminate getting splinters when working on the PC!

Thats a nice looking design. As NathanM said, make sure you smooth it down really nice. Some varnish might even be a good idea:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom