New Win 8 computer to Win XP question

BeerHunter

Beta member
Rather than fight with her old system , I just bought a new Asus desk top system after checking their web site to make sure the mother board drivers were available for XP.

My dilemma is..it came with a 1T HDD..WAYWAY more than she's ever going to need (the computer will only run NWN-original , Photo Shop 6 and Acrobat 5). I also have the 500G HDD I had planed on trying to install in her old system.

I was thinking of pulling the 1T and installing the 500G , format and install Win XP SP2 and XP drivers for her then I was thinking of using the 1T HDD in mine (if it's any good).

Can you think of any potential problems I might run into in either the install on hers or using the 1T in mine?

TXs

Sounds like a good plan. I have to say that I don't like Windows 8.

But why not go for Windows 7? Keeps things a little more updated.

Mossiac

Sounds like a good plan. I have to say that I don't like Windows 8.

Mossiac

Or at least SP3....:rolleyes:

I would not install XP. They are stopping support for XP next year. Why not just go with 7?

I really recommend against putting XP, since the end of support date is right around the corner. However, if you put a 500GB HDD over that 1TB, it will be fine. Just make sure you're not smashing anything in there.

Definitely worth the upgrade to 7 from XP, but your right to get rid of Windows 8. Most people transfer fine from XP to 7, but from XP/Vista/7 nearly everyone gets confused at some point about Win8.

Windows 7 licenses are easy to come buy, even i sell them. Retail stores don't anymore due to Microsoft telling them off.

If its a POS computer the HDD's probably going to be a 5900RPM or slower, so if your 500GB is faster id keep it, unless your dying for space.

If you decide not take the 1TB, your right its a huge amount of storage, partition it, and set up regular backups, this way if anything goes wrong, and you get the dreaded 'my pcs broke' phone call, a repair should only take minutes.

More time to drink tea and eat biscuits.

Back
Top Bottom