new video card

chuck4100

Solid State Member
my father is trying to upgrade his computer with my old video card. he has an hp workstation xw8200 (yes i know its not meant for gaming.) he currently has some nvidia quadro that plugs to normal pci port. i gave him an nvidia 7800 256mb pci-e. he has a pci-e port and a 600w psu. is there something that needs to be done when going from pci gpu to pci-e gpu? his monitor recieves no signals when the new card is in. maybe power since card is 650w recommended? any recommendations are welcom, thx.

I cant see 600w as being not enough. My card is a 7900 and my 500w is good enough for it. An 8800 only needs 450w, so thats not the problem. I would go with what borat said.

he says he plugged it in, he is using an adapter that takes 2 4-pin to one 6-pin pci-e power cord.

Does he not have a dedicated 6-pin connector?
yeah, its recommended to have a dedicated one, ive heard some cases of the adapter not working correctly somehow. the other day i bought an 8800gts along with a new power supply because i dont want to risk ruining my card with my crap psu. so i got a silverstone :D

An Nvidia 7800 should work fine with a molex to 6 pin adapter.

The only things I can think of is to make sure the card is fully seated and all connections are made properly including the rives and such just to make sure nothing got knocked loose during the card removal/installation. Also make sure to completely remove all drivers with the older card installed before installing the 7800.

Back
Top Bottom