New to programming - looking for some direction?

GLaDOS

In Runtime
Hello everyone,

I have been trying to improve my IT skill set (I am trying to transition into IT as a career) and I thought about trying to take a brief introduction into programming. I'm not quite sure if I want to become a programmer as a career, but I figured the only way to know if I'd enjoy it was to try it out!!

I have been reading into the different languages a little bit, trying to find what is current/being used the most. From just being a nerd in general, my general sense is that technology is moving to the mobile world so I thought maybe learning a language that might help me to one day be able to develop apps for tablets, smartphones, etc. might be a good way to do.

So I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what languages would be good to start out with. In addition, if anyone had any learning resources I'd greatly appreciate that too!

Thanks and I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!!

So I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what languages would be good to start out with.
You can start with any language, but I think Python is a good choice for a first language. It's easy to learn, easy to use, and powerful. That said, if you're specifically wanting to do mobile development, then you first need to choose your platform. For Android, learn Java. For iOS, learn objective-C. For Windows phone, learn C#.

Agreed with Jaeusm. Python would be easy to learn the basics. From there you Can learn other languages; its just a matter of learning the proper syntax.

I'n terms of learning resources, i have always found 'TheNewBoston' to be great, and he is certainly the most popular choice for free tutorials.

Here is a link to the first video in his Python playlist, but he has done tutorials in Objective C, C#, C++, Java, Java App development, and even a load of website programming languages. Very smart guy, and the highest quality tutorials i could find that were free:

Python Programming Tutorial - 1 - Installing Python - YouTube

I hate Python, but it's pretty easy to play around with. I'm learning PHP right now, and it's a moderate language. I wouldn't jump into PHP or a harder language, like C++ when you're just beginning.

I hate Python, but it's pretty easy to play around with. I'm learning PHP right now, and it's a moderate language. I wouldn't jump into PHP or a harder language, like C++ when you're just beginning.

C++ as a starting language is a little tougher, but it is doable as that's how I started out. I only knew some basic HTML, had taken a Visual Basic class in HS, and then when I started college they taught us C++ right off the bat and I hadn't ever really programmed before.

Back
Top Bottom