New to Linux, need some master help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
I've just decided that I need to learn Linux. What good computer guy dosent know Linux? All good computer guys should know Linux! So I'm wondering... I've never used Linux before... EVER! I've not even touched it. No reason beyond I have never had the chance. But I would like to learn it. I know computers in and out, so there is no problem there. What is the best distro to learn on? There are oh so many, and I need a good begginers distro. Recommendations?

Thanks!

The best distro to learn on would have to be Slackware. Mandrake is also good for beginners as it is more user friendly.

I strongly suggest Slackware though.

You praise slackware a lot and I'm wondering why you think it is superior to all other linuxes.

I like it because I tried Mandrake and it was good an' all, but then I went to Slackware and I learned a lot more in less time.

I'm still a Linux n00b though.

macdude425 said:
Slackware works. Period.

You should try it, Tyler.

Hmmm.... You know my name. Is there a camera behind me? Spying on me there buddy? :p

Apparently it is Slackware I am going to go with. Is there a legal place I can download it for free? Or do I have to purchase it? I mean, it's Linux, I really dont want to go to the store and pay $70 for something that should be free!!

I've beeb instructed to go with Slackware as well, but I wanted the final verdict from the genius' here at TF. I'll grab me a copy of Slackware as soon as I figure out wherE!
Thanks!

Excellent news, thank you. I'm at work, I cant WAIT till I get home and throw that shite on my laptop! How easy is it to retrive drivers and stuff for it? I'm a complete n00b with Linux, I honestly know not the first thing about it. I'm going to feel helpless in front of it, I hate that. Is it easy to network with MS? How about into a domain? W2K3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom