New to Linux, need some master help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Him said:
Excellent news, thank you. I'm at work, I cant WAIT till I get home and throw that shite on my laptop! How easy is it to retrive drivers and stuff for it? I'm a complete n00b with Linux, I honestly know not the first thing about it. I'm going to feel helpless in front of it, I hate that. Is it easy to network with MS? How about into a domain? W2K3?

The disks should have all the necessary drivers. I have found Linux to be quite good at finding all my hardware properly, although it doesn't work with most modems.

If you just want a simple network connection, for Internet for example, it should work fine, but networking with Microsoft might be more difficult.

I figured it would be simple for the internet, I got a router and i can just plug that right in and go. I'm pretty sure I can, anway, right?

Do you know HOW difficult it will be to network with Microsoft? I mean, they have to plan for this scenario. I know that many IT depts use Linux servers in conjunction with their MS servers, so it shouldnt be too hard, right?

Him said:
Do you know HOW difficult it will be to network with Microsoft? I mean, they have to plan for this scenario. I know that many IT depts use Linux servers in conjunction with their MS servers, so it shouldnt be too hard, right?

Yes, it can be done. I have been told to use a prgram called Samba to do it.

Don't know how hard it is, as I've never had time to try it.

Samba is the Linux file and print server. It's used so Windows machines can view files on the Linux machine. I found it fairly difficult to set up.

As for the router issue, yeah you can just plug in and go usually.

Tyler1989 said:
You praise slackware a lot and I'm wondering why you think it is superior to all other linuxes.
Most of the major linux distros have been heavily customized, this means what you learn is more likely to be specific to that distro. Slackware is regarded as being the closest to pure linux you can get, what you learn on Slackware can easily be transfered to any distro and even BSD.
Unforunately this means a steeper learning curve but it's well worth it.

If it proves to be a super challenge it will be much more entertaining to mess with.

Go with Ubuntu, it is simple uncluttered and has access to the root terminal, the applications are easy to use and the hardware detection is fantastic.

In my experience anyway,

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom