New Thermal Paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaazmar

Baseband Member
So i hear it takes a few days to a week for new thermal paste to totally settle in and do it's job at peak level. I just put on some Arctic Silver 5. How long does it take before this stuff works at full ability?

J

Like you said, a few days to a week. Nothing you can do to speed it up, and nothing you can do to slow it down either.

Mine is just starting to set and do it's job.. It really depends how you use your computer. Turning it on and off will allow it to contract and expand and it will set faster. I turn mine off after every use and it took about 2 1/2 weeks to fully set.

Off after every use? Thats not a good thing to do man, it's not good for your components. I leave mine on all day, I dont think I have turned it off in months. At least turn it on in the morning, and turn it off at night. Your components always expanding and contrcting, it is not good for them.

This could turn into a flame. (sorta)
There are advantages and disadvantages on both sides.
There is a thread on leaving your computer on all the time, floating around here somewhere. Go check it out.

No, it shouldnt turn into a flame. I have been to that thread, and it is asking peoples opinions. It's simple physics, that as things get hot they expand and as they cool donw they contract. Maybe it's the other way around, not sure, but they still expand and contract. It's simply not good for them in the long run. It might be a nominal difference, may be great, it is dependant on so many variables. The safest thing is to just leave it on all the time, if you have adequate cooling and dont care about your power bill going up. But like Joe said, there are advantages and disadvantages on both sides.

IMHO you should turn it on in the morning, and off at night, if off at all.

Joeisalsocool said:
This could turn into a flame. (sorta)
There are advantages and disadvantages on both sides.
There is a thread on leaving your computer on all the time, floating around here somewhere. Go check it out.

Joe's right.. I read the article that was linked from another thread here... too lazy to find it now.

If I remember correctly, turning it on and off does cause your components to expand and contract but leaving it on all of the time also shortens the use-life of every component.
There are arguments for both side...

Leaving it on all the time causes heat to build up which can damage components. Turning it off and on a lot forces it to expand and contract a lot, causing damage to components. From what I gather, the damage on either side is minimal and takes a LONG time to accumulate, meaning that most of us, if we keep up with newer technologies, will be replacing our components before they would be damaged by either of these. What I do is leave my computer on most of the time, and turn it off for a night every other night or for a day or two if I go away. I do this mainly to not be a wasteful power consumer and also save money on my electricity. As with all things, the middle path is the right way to go!

i've turned my computer on and off about 10,000 times and never had any problems.

i also have another one that i never shut off.

i see no difference.

do what fits your life best.

parts are just going to go out, has nothing to do with turning on and off.

atleast for todays computers. might have been different back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom