New Super Computer lol

ssc456

Fully Optimized
hi,

well im looking for a job and wen i get a months pay or if my plan works maybe 2 - 3 months pay then im looking to buy myself a nice computer

im just wondering how much RAM can a 64 bit OS handle / recognise ?
i mean i knowmy old school servers had like 16Gb RAM but they were running server 03 .. i think

but surely its a similar thing aint it or are server OS like 128 bit ?

the reason im asking is coz im thinkin of running a computer like a server and have all my comps connect to it and maybe run a virtual pc on there and stuff so pretty much im gonna need something that will handle all my resourcful taks but id like to be able to play a game on there without disrupting other tasks.

heres what im thinking i might jus use 1 months pay and get e6600 with 2 maybe 3 GB RAM

but i might get a Q6600 with 4GB RAM and im just wondering if its going to be upgradable ? and for the cheap price of RAM nowa days is it worth getting 8GB ?

i know i know its a complete overshot but like i said i want a comp that can handle resourceful stuff 24 hours a day then be able to let me play a game wen i want to ?

also is it worth waiting for DDR3 to become mainstream i mean i dnt got a job yet so it wont be till atleast 2 months time so wot can i expect and wot wud u suggest ?

I believe the amount of ram a 64bit OS can handle is dependent on the version of the OS. If i'm not mistaken Vista HomePremium can address 32gb, Business is 64gb, and Ultimate is 128gb of memory.

I'm running 4gigs in Vista Home premium 64bit and it runs really smooth. With ram prices as low as they are I'd go with 4 gigs for sure if your going 64bit. I'd hold off on buying 8gigs. The 2 gig sticks are not that great for overclocking and all have really high timings. Just get 4 good 1 gig sticks then upgrade to 2 gig sticks when they produce some faster 2 gig sticks.

DDR3 I'd wait. I'd wait to make sure it becomes mainstream. I remeber back when I bought my gateway with RDram. It was supposed to be the greatest thing but cost to much to manufacture so its really hard to find now. Plus there are few boards that support it currently.

Check out my price sheet the q6600 is now @ $299 might as well buy that. Quadcore for under $300 you can't go wrong!

I would definitely invest in a quad core CPU if you plan to do a lot of things with it. DDR3 timings are awfully high, but still quite fast. They're more comparable to some of the fastest DDR2 around. Imagine how fast they would be once the timing come down?

I think Windows Vista 64 bit can handle anywhere from 16-128GB depending on what version you get. But motherboard will limit you anyways. I think it's like 8GB or something for the motherboards these days? That's a lot and I don't know if you will see a difference in performance--should you decide to install 8GB :p.

right wot bout 64 bit xp pro ?

id plan on dual booting xp and vista ultimate if my to***nts come work lol

while im here does any1 know if the pentium D 915 is 64 bit ?

wonna test my 64 bit OS's before i rely on them for my new comp

kool ill have to test my OS's then maybe later in the week wen i get a chance to turn it off lol.

Back
Top Bottom