New router??

blujelly

Solid State Member
Hi all,

I’m currently on Virgin 300mb 3.0 hub. I bought a new router D-Link Gaming AX1800 which has helped a lot with some of my ring devices, as some had bad signal strength

My question is even though the VM hub is in modem mode 2/4 devices plugged in are still working? Surely they shouldn’t be working all together, or can I somehow make the VM hub work with the devices plugged in?

also doing a speed test via D-Links app says I’m hitting 350 but if I use the Speedtest app my iPhone hits about 50mb even though before the new router came it was doing 350 on averag

Are you certain your phone is connected wirelessly to the Dlink instead of the VM hub? What devices plugged in are working on the VM Hub? Should be at least one to your D-Link.

Well they’re are 13 devices connected to D link I’ve just checked the devices again that are connected via Ethernet and only one is working now, which I think is just using it as power and not for anything type of connection.

everything I assume is connected through DLink just more confused over the Wi-Fi speed on my iPhone

If you have your D-Link connected to the hub it would be that, as it being in modem mode I'm assuming that VM Hub is required for an internet connection. So it's not using it for power, it's using it for the internet connection.

With 13 wireless devices try to remember that each device is sharing bandwidth with the rest. That 1800 number isn't 1,800Mb to each individual device, it's 1,800Mb theoretical max divided by the amount of devices you have on it wirelessly. You need to go in the D-link router settings and make sure things like Airtime Fairness and Bandsteering are turned OFF as well as any kind of QoS. The channels the D-Link uses for 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz could also be different than the VM Hub which if they have a ton of interference it would adversely affect wireless speeds.

If you have your D-Link connected to the hub it would be that, as it being in modem mode I'm assuming that VM Hub is required for an internet connection. So it's not using it for power, it's using it for the internet connection.

With 13 wireless devices try to remember that each device is sharing bandwidth with the rest. That 1800 number isn't 1,800Mb to each individual device, it's 1,800Mb theoretical max divided by the amount of devices you have on it wirelessly. You need to go in the D-link router settings and make sure things like Airtime Fairness and Bandsteering are turned OFF as well as any kind of QoS. The channels the D-Link uses for 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz could also be different than the VM Hub which if they have a ton of interference it would adversely affect wireless speeds.
Got the speed on my iPhone sorted, there was a setting where 2.4ghz shared the same setting as 5ghz so I’m guessing it was reducing the speed down.

I’m always interested it what’s better routers or mesh networking?

Got the speed on my iPhone sorted, there was a setting where 2.4ghz shared the same setting as 5ghz so I’m guessing it was reducing the speed down.
In combined mode the router or device will pick between either band depending on a few circumstances, but yea 2.4 will drastically slow it down.
I’m always interested it what’s better routers or mesh networking?
Depends on the situation really. Best case scenario is using as little wireless as possible which makes mesh moot. Just really depends on the use case and square footage of the place you're trying to cover.

In combined mode the router or device will pick between either band depending on a few circumstances, but yea 2.4 will drastically slow it down.

Depends on the situation really. Best case scenario is using as little wireless as possible which makes mesh moot. Just really depends on the use case and square footage of the place you're trying to cover.
On my Wi-Fi network I have 11 devices I believe it is? The other 2-3 are connected via Ethernet. The main thing is the 4 cameras on the Wi-Fi network, everything else runs fine

Back
Top Bottom