New ring tone us adults cannot hear

Status
Not open for further replies.

yosa

In Runtime
This is of interest to me, aparently adults become less able to hear high frequencies in there maturity, but teenagers might retain that abillity; as such , a new ring tone that caters to the lator has been implemented. I had only heard this in passing, if I am wrong, feel free to correct me; the thing is, I hear very well, I looked and could not find a sample of this, the earliest article I found proposing this was June 12 2006. Tell us your thoughts.

basic sound rules/laws or whatever you wanna call it.

People's ears "age"... for instance if you listen to metal at volume 49 when your amp goes to 50 for most of your life, you're going to lose your range of hearing.

My dad was in the navy stationed on a nuclear sub... he cannot hear frequencies above around 16khz. He breathes very loudly through his nose, but he can't help it... he can't hear it so he doesn't know hes doing it. He isn't hard of hearing, its just his range is gone. If I played a test tone at 20,000hz, he wouldn't hear it. It would be as if nothing is playing.

Same concept for this "ring tone" It would probably be tones in the range of 19,000-20,000hz (where most adults lose their range).

got a link anywhere so I can check what it sounds like?

If I played a test tone at 20,000hz, he wouldn't hear it. It would be as if nothing is playing.
The article says the thing is at 17KHz, or 17,000Hz and that normal 18-24 year olds hear up to about 16KHz

So either they are liars or your numbers are off and I'm going to say your numbers are off :)

well obviously the range of hearing differs from person to person depending on any number of factors.... yea, the ringtone is at 17khz, and i know ALOT of middle-aged folks that can hear it

Come to think of it, Crysalis should know a lot about the sounds since he is an audio engineer and all :p

Besides I just said he was perhaps 'off' not just completely wrong.

I still haven't even come across this ringtone.....I'm pretty sure I can imagine what it'll sound like though. Just annoying and high pitched, just wanted to see how well I could hear it.

I saw a comic in Time that portrayed a kid being chased by a bunch of dogs and a couple old people saying something like, "must be one of those new high pitched rings tones we can't hear."
Only now does that comic finally make sense to me, kudos.

Am I the only one who can hear a CRT that is on? Well, just a TV, or a computer monitor set at a low refresh rate. I can hear CRT's set at 75hz, but not CRTs at >85hz.

It makes sense that it's possible, I just wish I could have a ring tone that would drive dogs crazy. (I'm not a dog person :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom