New RAM Purchase Problems - Help

Brian_Fenner

In Runtime
I just recently purchased an additional 1GB RAM (2 X 512MB) to add to my computer which already has two slots filled (2 X 512MB) for a total of 2GB.
I fired it up and it won't boot........all I get is the dreaded beeping on power-up.
If I run both OEM RAM cards or remove them and only run the two new Crucial cards it boots fine. But it won't boot with both the OEM and the new RAM installed.
Before I contact Newegg I would like to find out what is the problem with compatibility. I can't figure out what would be the issue as the specs seem the same to me.
Below are the specs of my system along with the old/new RAM.
Any help in diagnosing what is wrong would be greatly appreciated............. :confused:

System:
HP Media Center PCm7177C
4 memory slots (2 filled with 2 X 512MB, 2 empty)
Purchased new 4 months ago

OEM RAM:
8-large chips on each card
(Info label on chips)
Samsung 512MB 1R X 8 – 4200U – 444 – 10 – A1
CN M378T6553BZ0 – CD5 0518
Computer Specs listing = 1GB PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM (2 X 512MB for ultimate performance, expandable to 4GB)

Crucial Replacement (purchased from Newegg):
9-large chips on each board
(Info label on 1st four chips)
MT9HTF6472AY – 53EB3 200532 CBNBZE1001
512MB 1R X 8 PC2 – 4200E – 444 – 12 – F0
512MB, DDR2, 533, CL4, ECC
(Info label on 2nd four chips)
MT 200532 BP1122N.8M
CT6472AA53E.9FB
(Info on box)
2 – 512MB 240-pin DIMM 64M X 72 DDR2 PC2-4200
Unbuffered
Kit of 2 CT6472AA53E.9FB
Kit # CT2kit6472AA53E.000

does the mobo support 2gb of ram?
i know its a longshot and most unlikely to be the problem.
woz

Some motherboards don't support 4 sticks of double-sided RAM (RAM chips on both sides of the PCB).

Download Everst, link in the thread starter thread, and tell me your motherboards model and maker and I'll check it out for you.

Below is the information..........
BTW - The memory is not double-sided..........both OEM and Crucial only have chips on one side.
Plus the MOBO does support 4GB RAM

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 05/19/2005-LakePort-P5LP-LE-00
Motherboard Name Unknown

Front Side Bus Properties:
Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 200 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 800 MHz
Bandwidth 6400 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties:
Bus Type Dual DDR2 SDRAM
Bus Width 128-bit
Real Clock 267 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 533 MHz
Bandwidth 8533 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties:
Bus Type Intel Direct Media Interface

Have you tried running a bank of each? bit of a long shot but it could be a compatibilty issue between the 2 brands. Also is that 2GB max for DDR2 PC4200?, as many MOBO's have multiple limits depending on the speed of the ram you stick in em'.

The problem has been solved!
The RAM I ordered has absolutely the correct specifications except for one thing..........
ECC

My OEM memory is non-ECC (never specified in specs) and the Crucial memory is ECC..........you can't mix error correcting with non-error correcting RAM. That's why the Crucial has the extra chip on each stick.

BTW - Crucial has awesome technical support. Even though I bought the Crucial RAM from Newegg they helped me through the problem. I will buy directly from Crucial next time and forget the couple of bucks savings. There is absolutely NO technical support at Newegg!
The correct memory has already been shipped and on it's way..........Thanks Crucial!

prosser13 said:
ECC RAM only works with servers :p

Not true......
Worked fine in my PC without the OEM RAM sticks (non-ECC) installed but wouldn't work with 2 sticks of each type.
If I had 4 sticks of ECC it would of worked fine.

ECC RAM is pricy and costy. The thing not being ECC won't do a thing. The mobo may not handle a PC4200 at a speed of PC3200...so, it assumes that there is not any RAM

Back
Top Bottom