XP Pro
Pentium 4 3.2 w/ HT
1.0 GB of Ram
120 & 20 GB Hard Drive(s)
ATi Radeon 9600SE
ASUS P4P800-E Motherboard
Lite-On CD/DVD/Rom
Toshiba DVD+R

Okay... here's the deal. I build this computer and it runs perfectly for 4 Months then I'm downloading what I think is a game demo ... all of a sudden I have a brand new trojan. I can't get it off so... a reformat ensues.

Now, later that day, after AIM, AVG antivirus, iTunes, Counterstrike, Microsoft Word, Photoshop and a few other programs have been installed I'm having a strange problem.

When I restart my computer, it takes 5 minutes or more for 'My Computer' to bring up my drives and whatnot. It sits there with the little 'searching flashlight' icon for awhile and then eventually discovers all my drives.

I can bypass 'My Computer' by doing the Run/C:/D:/Etc. thing, but that's a pain.

I went through and deleted a bunch of startup scripts using ewido anti-malware thinking that was the problem... but it's still not showing up.

I have no clue ... can anyone help me? :confused:

so the problem occurs after u format. a virus or torjan can be in any drive as long as it has .exe files. so the virus could be on the other slave drives.

A reformat wipes the hard drive ... erases it ... starts it over from scratch ... How exactly would there still be a .exe for a trojan? Is this a registry issue?

I've done some rooting around and the only thing that seems to be off is that I have an unusually large amount of a C:Windows\system32\svchost.exe's running in my system processes. Actually, the file occurs 6 times in the 'System Processes' section of 'Windows Task Manager.' Is this something? Or am I Paranoid?

hi..
NO AT ALL there are actually 6 svchost.exe's running in the task manager that is not at all the problem. After trying all those things if u still have the problem the just put the shampoo..(that is format that drive ) ,or if u have anydoubt in the registry problem then u can run REG CLEANER to fix the registry issues.

curioust said:
if u still have the problem the just put the shampoo..(that is format that drive )

Thanks Curioust

The thing is ... I just reformatted that drive and reinstalled a fresh copy of XP onto it. It was after the reformat that the stuff in "My Computer" started taking so long to come up...

Thinking about it ... I just did a "Quick Format" of the drive ... do you think that would be the reason?

I've run RegScrubXP and CCleaner on this drive multiple times... so I don't think it's in the registry... and I'm not even sure if it's virus related... None of the 3 virus scans I've run (AVG, Zone Alarm, EWido) have come up with anything virus related.

Is this just some abnormality?

hi..
while deleting the startup scripts were u sure that they were malware or just unwanted???
if u did a quick format before installing XP then that will not solve the problem..u have to format it by the dos bootable floopy or CD..
and one more thing..
dont think that the anti virus u are having are perfect 100%,never it can be..
to clear that i had a new virus that was undetected by NOD32,Bit defender,AVG,EWIDO,nortan,F-secure and PC cellin but was detected by PANDA antivirus..

try going into safe mode and see if it comes ^ faster. that would determin rather it's a program relation or what. or u could just try using the last good configuration option and see if that fixes it. that doesn't sound to virus-ey 2 me. i've had a similar problem and it just went away after a while idk XP is pretty fishy >.> lol if it runs fine in safe mode then it's some program your running thats causing it, most likey your anti-virus lol :p

Back
Top Bottom