New PC Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

paullewis323

Beta member
I have just sold my older PC kit, Intel 3.2Ghz Northwood, X800XT PE AGP graphics, etc. and am about to buy new PC components for my new PC build.

I was thinking of a Conroe Dual Core 2 CPU and have the following questions:-

1. Will my existing 1 GB (2 x 512MB) OCZ DDR PC4000 (500 MHZ RAM) be OK in the syetm or do i need DDR2? If not I will sell em now.....

2. Will my Tagan TG480-UO1480W PSU be OK for SLI operation? Will it have enough power? 28A on rails.......

3. Can I use the Intel Conroe in a Geoforce 7900 SLI setup? Have seen reports that only crossfire motherboards are available for Conroe CPU's.......

4. If i need new RAM, can anyone tell me what 2GB RAM is the best to go for, bearing in mind value for money?

5. Which MOBO is best? Bearing in mind I wanna go SLI with 7900's?

6. How can i future proof my video card investment for DX10?

Regards

Paul

paullewis323 said:
I have just sold my older PC kit, Intel 3.2Ghz Northwood, X800XT PE AGP graphics, etc. and am about to buy new PC components for my new PC build.

I was thinking of a Conroe Dual Core 2 CPU and have the following questions:-

1. Will my existing 1 GB (2 x 512MB) OCZ DDR PC4000 (500 MHZ RAM) be OK in the syetm or do i need DDR2? If not I will sell em now.....

2. Will my Tagan TG480-UO1480W PSU be OK for SLI operation? Will it have enough power? 28A on rails.......

3. Can I use the Intel Conroe in a Geoforce 7900 SLI setup? Have seen reports that only crossfire motherboards are available for Conroe CPU's.......

4. If i need new RAM, can anyone tell me what 2GB RAM is the best to go for, bearing in mind value for money?

5. Which MOBO is best? Bearing in mind I wanna go SLI with 7900's?

6. How can i future proof my video card investment for DX10?

Regards

Paul

1) The ram is not compatible because it uses DDR, but the Intel is DDR2
2) if 28 Amps is both rails, then i doubt it will be powerful enough for one of the higher models for SLi, like the 7900GT/GTX, but i wouldnt risk it, just get an Antec TruePowerII 550Watt
3)no, that is not true, you can use any CPU with any GPU setup. that would be really dumb on all 4 sides of CPU/GPU Manufacturers
4)best would be 2GB dual channel of any of these brands: Crucial, Corsair, G.Skill, OCZ, Mushkin, Patriot
5)Im not very familiar with Intel compatible mobos, sry, will have to do some research
6) you can future proof it by buying 1 7900GT, or x1800xt, now and saving for a G80 nvidia card or the new DX10 ATI cards (R600 or something)

well if u buy a 7900GT and x1800 xt now, and then a DX10 card when they are released, you will be future proofed for like a year or 2 because i doubt dx11 will come out as fast as new video cards and stuff come out, those are like every 3 or months, this takes years.

I cant really imagine graphics wise, SOME GAMES, getting really that much better but in a couple years I will look back and say that stuff sucked ***. Lol. Yeah just get a 7900gt. Very cheap now!

Re: Re: Re: New PC Build

Pepsiboy700 said:
I wish that was true. **** every advancing technology!

Yeah, that is true. That's why it's rediculous trying to create a "cutting-edge" system nowadays. You can drop $5000 on an uBeR system from Alienware and it would utter shite in a year or two...

yes the inquirer......definitely a reliable source........that would seem really dumb, i mean, intel and nvidia are basically hombres now, after the whole Renegade thing with Dell.

intel and nvidia are basically hombres now

Sorta.

Intel and ATI are the bedfellows of late, but nVidia is working on their own to get SLI for Conroe.

EDIT: Besides, "hombres" means "men"... not a mental picture I wanted...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom