New PC build for a friend ($1,500)

XGC Forsakend

Student & Lover of Games
Been a while since I posted, been sick the last two weeks... anywho!

A friend of mine called me up today with a list of PC parts. He is building a new PC and scavenging some parts from his current build to save some cash.
I don't know the exact details of his current build except for what he plans on scavenging: hard drives and ram (8 gigs).

He also already has an OS (Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit)

What PC is for
The PC is going to be for gaming, streaming (twitch.tv) and for class work as well as IT work in the near future.

Extra Wants and possibilities
Triple Monitors
He does want to be able to have 3 monitors, but only game on one. He will use the others as extra side screens for anything else he needs to run while streaming.

Edit: Regarding triple monitors: Going to delay this and get it in the future to ensure the budget primarily goes towards the tower and other needs. Will only get 1 monitor for now.

Overclocking
He wants to keep overclocking a possibility. I managed to explain that it is not needed for gaming and that made it less of a priority. He simply wants the most out of his machine and leaving it as a possibility would be great.

Liquid cooling
He still wants cooling of some sort as he prefers the PC to be quiet and keep everything cooled.

Part List
Here are the parts he has chosen:
PartPicker URL:
AMD FX-9370, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 - System Build - PCPartPicker

CPU:
AMD FX-9370 4.4GHz
CPU Cooler:
Thermaltake CL-P0466 86.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing
Motherboard:
Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+Motherboard
Additional Storage:
Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" (For OS)
GPU:
Geforce GTX 770 2GB
PSU:
Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX
Optical:
Asus DRW-24b1ST/BLK/b/as DVD/CD Writer

His budget is $1000 and wants to stay relatively close. The part picker already goes over budget and doesn't include case or the three monitors. Suggestions and changes are very welcome.

Edit: Budget is now $1,500 and is not to include the HDD's, Ram, OS or the monitors. Due to recommendation, the budget wasn't sufficient enough to receive what he wanted.

I brought up needing a good quality PSU and suggested a Corsair, but didn't know any other great brands. Everything else, I lack knowledge of.

Thanks in advance for any help ^_^

Last edited:
Re: New PC build for a friend ($1,000)

4670k and ASRock Extreme4 Z87 for starters.
Samsung EVO 120GB instead of the 830.

Seasonic S1211 or Seasonic M1211 620 (for both) if budget permits.

CPU cooler isn't necessary right now if he wants a good CPU + GPU + SSD all in one for 1000 (Not to mention that TT isn't liquid). Those 3 not really possible with a triple monitor setup in the budget because decent 23s or 24s will run between 150 and 200 a piece. For the case, Corsair 200r is cheap and effective.

4670k and ASRock Extreme4 Z87 for starters.
Samsung EVO 120GB instead of the 830.

Seasonic S1211 or Seasonic M1211 620 (for both) if budget permits.

CPU cooler isn't necessary right now if he wants a good CPU + GPU + SSD all in one for 1000 (Not to mention that TT isn't liquid). Those 3 not really possible with a triple monitor setup in the budget because decent 23s or 24s will run between 150 and 200 a piece. For the case, Corsair 200r is cheap and effective.

Yea, my bad regarding that TT not being liquid. We talked about liquid cooling but wasn't added on the part picker list or whatever. My Fail.

Just told him regarding the triple monitor set up problem while maintaining the CPU+GPU+SSD along with the possibility of liquid not being possible. He will drop the 3 monitors to just one to make it a better possibility while still getting a 1920x1080 resolution.

He will also boost his budget to $1,500 to ensure he gets and is happy what he wants. This new budget is only for Tower related stuff and shouldn't include the monitors to help.

He will switch out to the parts as you recommended as well.

Thanks PP ^_^

Re: New PC build for a friend ($1,000)

Well for 1500 I'd shoot for the Seasonic M1211 620w or Seasonic G series 650w, stick with aforementioned 4670k and EX4 board, and then you should be able to add an H60 and possibly go with a 780 instead of a 770.

I know I say it a lot that aftermarket cooling isn't necessary but usually that is for builds that don't have adequate budget and the cash can be pointed to other more potent parts. In this case, an H60 will help greatly with cooling and silence. Especially if mated with an OP fan like a Scythe GT and limited by PWM.

Can up the case too if he isn't satisfied with the simplistic nature of something like the Corsair 200r, although having a 780 over a better case would be a better decision. I have a 4GB 680 so I can say for certain at 1080p there isn't much he can't handle with a 770. Extra power is always welcome though.

Back
Top Bottom