New PC build - all my games black screen on launch!

AA-ron

Baseband Member
Hey all,
Ive recently built a new desktop, here's the specs;
Windows 7
i7 processor
Asus P8Z77-V series mainboard
integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000
8gb DDR3 ram

I have installed Steam and number of my current games, however when I launch those games, I get a complete black screen. The computer is not locked up (num lock goes on/off) and the only thing I can do is manually reboot.
So far this has happened with L4D2, Loadout, Chivalry and Unreal Tournament 2004.

However..
I was able to play Minecraft (perhaps because its java based?) and a little of L4D2 once I changed the config 'video' text file to say fullscreen-off nowindowedborder-no.
That text file was found in the Steam/L4D2 content directory after googling 'L4D2 black screen on launch'.
I was hoping all my other games would be similar, but they are have vastly different file structures an no 'video.txt' files.

My guess is the video is dropping out when it switches from desktop graphics to the 3d for the games. Almost as though the autodetect of video settings is not working. I have made sure I have the latest video drivers.

Also, (related/unrelated) the same thing happens when I hit ctrl+alt+delete to bring up task manager. After hitting ctrl+alt+delete I get a completely black screen. Researching it I have to keep going into windows settings somewhere and change the color values to their default from black (000, 000, 000).

Any tips/suggestions would be great.
Thanks in advance!

As a test, last night I backed up my computer, blew it away and reinstalled Win 7, same problems.

--Problem Solved--

Problem solved.

After all else listed above failed, I installed the video card from an older machine, an AMD Radeon 6700 series and now my games work properly.
With the expection of Loadout (game crashes to desktop after launch, but brings up a crash report rather than black screening and needing to reboot).

This also seemed to fix the vsync issues I was having in L4D2 resulting in laggy mouse movements. I have tried turning off vsynce many times prior but it never worked, but with this video card I turned it off and things work as expected.

So, does this mean that the integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 is incompatible/broken? Is there anyway I can make both graphics devices work in unison?

Sorry I didn't see this previously.

The HD4000 is not meant for gaming. Yes, you can use them in unison but you can only use the HD4000 to simply put stuff on a secondary monitor.

As mentioned those on chip GPU's (except some of AMD's offerings) are not very good for gaming. Ideally ,you can run two monitors with your HD 6750-6770 as long as you have the proper outputs. Using the HD 6700 series only for your gaming needs, and if you ever wanted to upgrade it's a snap to sell the AMD card then switch to your HD4000 integrated while you look for a new card. That's one of the nice benefits of the newer CPU's and the boards nowdays.

Back
Top Bottom