New parts came in...

I just didn't expect it since I bought the heatsink and fan separate from the CPU. Oh well, more Arctic Silver for next time. It's exciting because this dual core will be put to good use. The laptop I have is fast but I don't do anything on it because of work and school. Don't want clutter, just the bare minimum.

For my desktop, it's loaded with stuff. The RAM already helped a lot out, but now that the CPU is going in, OMG, I can't wait to see the results.

After this, there really isn't much I can do as far as upgrades go. It's Socket 939 and only use DDR RAM. I guess I could put in a Raptor drive, but that's very little gain, if any. I honestly don't think the 7800GT is a bottleneck at all besides not utilizing DX10. A year or two down the road, I still plan on doing a major rebuild of the entire PC. With a new case of course, because I really hate this $15 case, lol.

That As is good for over 5 applications, anyway. Probably much more. You only put a BB-sized dot in the middle of the die.

Can I actually put some Arctic Silver on the CPU even though the heatsink already has a super thin layer of thermal compound on it? Is it safe to do that or is it better to use one or the other?

Scrape off the thermal wax on the heatsink before you use the AS. You will probably need some alcohol to get a super clean surface, or it won't work as well as it should.

that cooler if VERY good. keeps my pc very chilly, although i dont know the true temps, but when i boot it up its 27c, thats all i know for sure.

EDIT:
scrape off the old paste, and put a thin dash from the top left to the bottom right, or vice versa, thats how the AS5 website says how to do it.

Good thing I had some alcohol, whew. The funny thing is the stock thermal stuff that's already on there spreads across the copper surface (just enough to fit the sq. aread of the CPU heatspreader on top. It's got to be a perfect spread if I ever saw one. It's funny how a small drop of arctic silver in the middle of the CPU can really be more effective than that though.

Well the idea is to pull heat from the core directly to the HSF and not involve the heat spreader.

Ran into a snag. Apparently, my motherboard is sooooo ancient, it did not pick up the X2 properly. PC Wizard picked up as an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo, but the second core wasn't working. No load at all. It was still running in single core mode.

I tried BIOS update, but all of a sudden, all my USB devices stopped working. I know they still work because my wireless mouse battery is charging in it's USB powered charger. My wireless keyboard still works because I can type on it. My USB wireless adapter and external drive are dead in the water where USB just doesn't pick up.

To top it off, I lost my Vista ISO file!!!!!!! Horrible!!!!

So without the Net, I can't do a BIOS update to correct the dual core problem. Without being able to connect my external drive, I can't download the latest BIOS onto my laptop and then transfer it to my desktop. Plus, desktop PC mouse doesn't work because of USB problem.

Wow....

I got my old XP CD and for some reason, it would'nt install it from within Vista!!! So I had to force boot into BIOS, change the boot order to CD first and restart. It finally picked up the copy of XP. Now, it's formatting, lol.

I contacted MSDN to see if they will allow me to get another download of Vista so I'm waiting for them to get back to me. Man, Windows XP again. I just hope XP gets all my USB working again so I can get Internet to work and update the BIOS. Better yet, I hope reinstalling XP will fix the Dual Core recognition problem.............The X2 CPU works, just isn't recognized as a dual core except for some newer utility software. Windows doesn't recognize it. "amd hammer family processor model unknown".

Woohoo, mouse works now....still installing XP.

^^that sucks big ones, i hate having my computer not working, but the funny thing is, when i got mine working again, i was like "wtf am i supposed to do now, i got the same shit on here before it broke, and i was bored with that stuff" :p

Good thing I had some alcohol, whew. The funny thing is the stock thermal stuff that's already on there spreads across the copper surface (just enough to fit the sq. aread of the CPU heatspreader on top. It's got to be a perfect spread if I ever saw one. It's funny how a small drop of arctic silver in the middle of the CPU can really be more effective than that though.

thats because after a week the AS5 will spread out to about the size of the cpu if you do it right;)

BEAWARE!
AS5 CONDUCTS. if you get some on your motherboards traces it could ruin your board.

Back
Top Bottom