New OS; New Problems

H2L1

Beta member
Hey there, not certain if I'm posting this in the right place or not, so feel free to redirect me if necessary.

Ok, so I'll try and make the backstory as quick as possible. A week ago I upgraded my main hard drive from a HDD to a SSD and I upgraded my OS from Vista to Windows 8. I had some initial problems getting 8 to work as my main OS, but I fixed that already. The last thing I did was use the driver disk that came with my computer (which I got back in '09 as a graduation present) to clean install the original drivers onto the SSD.

Now, I've noticed a lot of crummy stuff happening since I've made the aforementioned transition. First thing I noticed, playing video games sucks. I lag like crazy when I'm playing Smite and I'm not talking during a match, but when I'm trying to type in my account info so that I can log onto the servers. Second, when I'm surfing the net, or going through my computer's folders, I'll have a moment when everything freezes and then a few seconds later my mouse is freed up and I can go about my business as usual, but this issue keeps happening the entire time I'm using the computer. Third, the blue lights on the back of the laptop display are constantly flickering. It's driving me crazy to see them strobing while I'm doing work, especially since I'm typically on at night which makes the strobe very noticeable. Fourth....I can't think of anything else I've noticed but I'll update with that info if the need arises...something tells me that it will.

I thought, based on what I was reading about SSDs online, that things would work a bit more smoothly than they currently are, so I'm thinking I failed to change some settings or maybe the drivers didn't install correctly or....something! Any help would be greatly appreciated. As I mentioned earlier, I'm not that savvy with the inner workings of computers, but that being said, I really want to do this the long way (not taking it to a shop). If you want me to explain the situation more, or just need some extra info from me, please let me know. If you are willing to work with me, then I'm willing to work with you.

Thanks

I'd recommend going to the manufacturers website and downloading the latest drivers from them to see if there is any improvement..

Wow drivers from 2009, thats ancient stuff there. As BK_123 has mentioned your best bet is to visit the laptop manufacturer's website and get the latest drivers for Windows 8 as it is optimised for it. Using old drivers could bottleneck your computer's capabilities.

Hope this helps.

To elaborate on what everyone else is saying...
The drivers for Vista are not likely to work for Win8. You can download the drivers from your PC manufacturers site, but please be aware that you may have to give the site a bit of false information.

The upgrade that you did, though better than Vista, is still ill advised in my book.

Good luck! :)

To elaborate on what everyone else is saying...
The drivers for Vista are not likely to work for Win8. You can download the drivers from your PC manufacturers site, but please be aware that you may have to give the site a bit of false information.

The upgrade that you did, though better than Vista, is still ill advised in my book.

Good luck! :)

Why would you say that the upgrade was "ill advised"? Are you referring to the hardware upgrade of the OS upgrade?

Also, thanks for the responses people, and sorry for not being able to respond before now. I've had yet another issue (perhaps a progression of the same issue, but idk) and this one is preventing me from even using my computer for any legitimate amount of time. Once I power up my computer Windows 8 will load and asks me for my account password, so I give it and I get onto my desktop. But from there....things are just awful. I will try and open a web browser to maybe get some computer help or something useful along those lines, and then everything will freeze while random portions of the screen instantly turn green. Once that happens the screen will go black, any music I had playing will stop and then....nothing. My mouse isn't visible, ctrl + alt + del garners no response, and neither do any of the other buttons I press. I have to cold shutdown and if I get back on, the same thing happens. Has anyone ever had a problem like this before? I never have, so I'm personally out of my depth. Is it possible that my graphics card is shot? It has been making some rattling noise for a while now. Just a thought. Any advice is appreciated as always.

Signing off from my local library,

H2L1

Assuming a smartphone/tablet I'd highly recommend our mobile app so you don't have to use the library's computers while we work this out with you.

Anyways, I digress.

I'd say the upgrade wasn't ill advised. There are just haters of windows 8 out there. I used to be one but then I used it for a while and it's got things that do make my life quicker & easier.

As for your new problem, have you tried booting into safe mode to see if the same thing happens there? Something you could also try assuming you're willing (and the library lets you) is to take a flash drive to the library and download all the windows 8 drivers you need for your computer (networking ones being most important as you can get all the others if you forget them once online). Then I'd try reinstalling windows 8 and using the proper drivers right from the get-go to see if that helps.

The reason that I say that it was Ill adviced is not because of my distaste for win8, but because such a jump will cause these problems. I wouldnt even recommend going from Vista to 7 without making sure that you already have all the drivers at least available to you online first, much less a jump between two versions.

Back
Top Bottom