new motherboard?

Gr3yG0053

Solid State Member
I fried my motherboard and now I have to get a new one the only problem with that is there are so many and I have no idea what to get.
my stats
P4 2.8 HT, 1~80gb wd 2~160gb wd, 2x512ram, nVidia 5200 128mb

My questions are 1st I when I look at motherboards it says a chipset, now I have to get on that supports my processor and if I get one that says pentium 645is and I dont have that type it wont work? 2nd with the ram situation if the motherboard only supports 800 and 400 and I dont have that will it work of does that mean what the ram will run at?
3rd should I get pci express?

Thank you to any replies I really need help

The board needs to support the front side bus of this cpu which should be 800 mhz. If you get this correct chances are the memory you have will work fine regardless. As for brand...stick with Asus or a genuine Intel board.

I found out that I have a P4 prescott/northward 2.8, that chipset that I had was a 865gv springdall with a 250w powersupply. So what motherboard should I get, I would like to have pci express on the new one if possable. Also can I use that 450wt atx power supply that I recently purchased on the new Mobo that I buy? and if so how do I use it without frying the new mobo?

You might definitley want to consider the larger psu. Sounds like the other psu is micro atx maybe? Will the newer psu fit in your case? As for chipset. The chipset has no bearing on compatibilty with the cpu, ram, etc. in most cases. The psu will not fry the mobo, assuming it is in good working condition. I would reccomend getting a board with pci xpress if possible, even if you aren't going to use it at first. Whats your price range?

I am looking at motherboards around 110 at newegg, i realy dont want to go much higher than that if possable. As far as the psu all I have to do is plug it in? because that is what I did last time and now my mobo does not work?

Do you want integrated graphics? I am not familiar with this brand and couldn't suggest it. I suppose there are boards with pci xpress slots in 478. Strange because if you use the shop by category on newegg, and select motherboards, intel, socket 478, and a 16x pci xpress slot you get no results.

Back
Top Bottom