New mobo

slugonamission

Solid State Member
Right, i am thinking of getting a new motherboard. I currently have a K7S5A but i dont know what i am upgrading to (yet). So will i need to reinstall everything or what? It will probably (ok, hopefully) have a ATI 9800 Pro on it but if not, a GeForce 4 MX440

E

entity512

what features do you need? Eg.. Firewire, sata, lan and so on

what price range are you on?

Also what socket do you need?

slugonamission

Solid State Member
I want just the basics, DDR ram, AGP 8X, not bothered about onboard lan/modem or SATA (well, mabye SATA then). What i really meant was if i upgraded the MOBO, would i have to re-format/re-install windows or what?

E

entity512

Oh ok. No but sometime people encounter problems while doing this, and not doing a fresh install.

slugonamission

Solid State Member
ok then, by fresh install, do you mean re-install windows or a re-format? Also, how would i do this all without re-installing or formatting?

airiox

Fully Optimized
I once installed a mobo by just swapping and installing drivers again. Without reinstalling XP.

Things will be much less stable though.

slugonamission

Solid State Member
OK then, now im thinking of re-installing the new mobo and as soon as i have done it, re-installing XP over the existing installation (i.e. No re-format)

gibant1

In Runtime
Although you can sometimes repair or re-install over the previous install, It's Always better to do a full format, I doesn't take that long to backup your files and you will have peice of mind.