New MacBooks Have Faulty NVIDIA GPU, RAM Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
New MacBooks Have Faulty NVIDIA GPU, RAM Issues?

Engadget has an interesting article posted today that says there are issues with the MacBook caused by installing 4GB of RAM. There is also a growing number of complaints about various video problems with the NVIDIA 9600M GPU used in new MacBooks.

Apparently, loading 4GB of RAM (either from Apple or a third party) has caused at least a few MacBooks and MacBook Pros to freeze up randomly which, for the time being at least, can only be remedied by dialing things back to 2GB or 3GB of RAM.

Considering everyone I know that has an 8 series card in their laptop has had their laptops die in the past year ... I would steer clear of the new Macbook pro, especially for the amount of money they cost and how hot they run. I'm sure you will see them die even faster than the 8 series mobile cards.

The 9400m uses the good soldering material, but yeah I generally just don't trust that company now when it comes to mobile parts. All my friends with ATI mobile cards have had no problems whereas all my friends nvidia have had their laptops rendered useless.... I don't need to be techie to figure out the company I want making my mobile gpu when I dish out $1500 on a laptop.

Is there anyway to update my mobility x1400 drivers? I'm using the one that was given to me over 2 years ago when I got this laptop. If there's anyway I'm sure I would get much better performance increases in the games I play... or at least more stability.

Is there anyway to update my mobility x1400 drivers? I'm using the one that was given to me over 2 years ago when I got this laptop. If there's anyway I'm sure I would get much better performance increases in the games I play... or at least more stability.

Usually you can only get them from your manufacturer's website. I don't think there's be anything on ATI's. But if you pull up your model there may be an updated driver.

I have an 8600M GS and it works fine. I stay away from ATi because even if they make good hardware, their drivers are utter garbage in some cases, especially Linux. It took 2 years to even get my desktop Radeon X1600 to even produce an image on my monitor under Linux using the official drivers. Who knows what you get when you use ATi, nVidia has always had solid drivers for both Windows and Linux, so I plan on sticking with nVidia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom