New HD problem

E-Jipt

Baseband Member
So me and my roomy got a Dell dropped off to us, the problem with it was the HD was stolen. We went out and got a compatible HD for this Dell Deminsion 4300s. We hooked it up and put in out Dell recovery disk to reinstall Windows and we keep getting NTLDR is missing when we do not have the OS in. When we do put it in everytime we keep getting STOP 0x0000007B.
We've been reading these forums and the net. Tried reinstalling OS several times. Brand new HD, I don't know if we just got a bad HD, i've also been told this may be trying to tell me my RAM is bad. But I'm pretty sure this was a fully working PC until somebody stole the HD. We go into BOIS and it's reading the CPU, RAM, and HD, all the right numbers. So i need some help here, sitting tight right here. Thanks a bunch guys.

well don't know how strict dell is, but it's possible that you can't use the cd because the hdd is different from the original one. Though I don't imagine that they would do this because a lot of time people upgrade their hdds.

But to check ram:
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/
or
http://www.memtest86.com/

And for the hdd go to the manufacturers website and download their diagnostics tool.

Hey thankz, I'll try that too, I do doubt it's the RAM though because I can go into BOIS and it's showing the correct ammount of RAM MB

E-Jipt said:
Hey thankz, I'll try that too, I do doubt it's the RAM though because I can go into BOIS and it's showing the correct ammount of RAM MB

most of the time it lets you do that. When I had broken ram I could do everything except the stuff that needs lots of ram. Just browsing the internet etc was fine, but when I played a game it always crashed after a few minutes.

*cough* non legitimate means of receiving those dells...I believe is what he means. And even if he doesnt, if there is no proof of ownership and buyer-seller agreement on his part, Dell doesnt have to do anything. Trust me, I've been there and I had the agreement and proof of sale :(

dude u have to select the cd rom as the first boot device in bios or else it will try booting from the hard drive where theres nothing on it

Back
Top Bottom