New Harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathawk

Daemon Poster
Alright... well, I have a 160GB ATA HD, with 7200 RPM. I was thinking of getting another HD, that had 10,000 RPM, for my games and operating system. Would this make a difference, or would my money be place elseware? And finally... what size should I buy?

get another 160 sata drive and raid em... you'll get the preformance ans HD size you want and save the money for when the new hardware comes out! :) 10k's are nice don't get me wrong. I have 2 myself... but truthfully I only see the OS performance, my games still load up the same (to me)

well, first off....for my opinion i need to know if you are running SATA or Parellal.

i just seen ATA.
there is S-ATA and P-ATA

S-ATA supports faster speed (150-300) witch in my opinion wouldn't be worth doing a RAID with a P-ATA(100-133) due to bandwith differences that i placed in brackets.
or..if it even works...never tired...never looked.

if you have a P-ATA, then i suggest the Western Digital 10K Raptor, either 36gig or 74gig depending on how much games you load at once.

if you have a S-ATA (witch i doubt from your specs since you say it's old) you wouldn't see to much of a difference with a 10K and i would just buy another 7200rpm and RAID if you need the room.

Wait.. I thought P-ATA and ATA were two seperate things.

Alright, thanks.. I think it'd be better to at least get a 250GB SATA drive first =\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom