New Game, do I need new processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLUE

Baseband Member
I recently bought a new game (Heroes V) that requires minimum 1.5MHz Processor AMD athlon (mines 900MHz AMD) will the 1.5 work in mine? I'm also maxing out my ram to 512MB (just ordered). The AMD Athlon 1.5MHz is 220$ or something, so do you think my 900MHz will at least run the game it with the ram or will I need this too?

I'll buy a better used comp but not soon so this will make a good spare then maybe..... Thanks!

First, it 1.5GHz not MHz... also, I would completely upgrade your system before playing that game.

do you know what kind of socket your mobo is? cuz u can get a 2 GHz for like 140$

Oh and also, I don't really think this should be in "Building, Buying, or Upgrading High Performance PC Systems".

Moved this to General Pcs.

It is a socket A. You won't find a 900MHz Athlon in a 754 or 939.

What is the max FSB for your motherboard? Knowing that, you can see what the fastest processor you could use would be.

Since you have a 900MHz, I'm figuring that you can only use up to a 200MHz FSB, which means you can't do much with it.

Hate to say it, but I have to agree with Matt08642... you probably neeed to scuttle your system and put together a new one. Use what you can from your current computer... case, HD, whatever. I doubt your PSU will be usable, as newer parts take more juice.

If you think you want to go this route, give us a budget and what parts you have in your current rig and we'll try to cobble together a parts list for you.

My brotha! Socket A users unite!

Hehe, i have a amd athlon XP 3000+ barton core cpu. It came from a system that crashed recently. And i have no way of testing if its still in working condition. If you want it, i could sell it to you for nominally cheap.

And if some of you gurus can tell me if theres any way i can test to see if the cpu is still good, or if it went down with the comp. As i don't have a second socket A computer to test it on. : \

And you might want to go to 1gb ram. Just value select. (Again, i have a 512 stick in the old system that crashed, and if i can see if it works still. Ill sell it to you for cheap.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom