New Desktop Recommendations Please!

tibug

Solid State Member
Alright, so my IBM Thinkpad T23's hdd crapped out on me, and while I will be getting a new hdd from a friend, I realize that I need a new computer. At first, I wanted a laptop, and I still do. However, the laptop will probably come in the summer or the end of this year. Right now I just need a computer, and I can't ignore the awesome prices on Dell Vostro towers at the outlet.

How's this?

Vostro 400 Mini Tower
Intel Core 2 Duo - 2330
160 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
1000mb ram (will upgrade aftermarket)
DVD/RW;DVD-ROM
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
-480$

Vostro 400 Mini Tower
Intel Core 2 Quad-Core - 2400
250 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
2000 mb ram (upgraded aftermarket)
DVD/RW
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
-540$

My main concern is dual core vs. quad core. This pc will be dual booting Ubuntu and XP. I will probably play a few graphics intensive games. The majority of its use will be mulitmedia and internet stuff.

Will I notice any advantage of quad core? More importantly, any disadvantage over a dual core in any situations?

These Vostro desktops do not come with a monitor, I assume? Why does Dell not list the sound card and networking card of most of these computers?

Thanks,
Tim

ummm might be me but ive never heard of those processors in a dekstop before. infact if im honest ive never heard of those at all.

Edit: looks like your refering to the clock speed of them and not the actual processor name

ummm might be me but ive never heard of those processors in a dekstop before. infact if im honest ive never heard of those at all.

Edit: looks like your refering to the clock speed of them and not the actual processor name

Dell doesn't label the actual processor name on their outlet. All they put under "Processor" is what I copy and pasted. I know that 2330 and 2400 are the clock speeds in MHz, but I can't find the specifics. The Dell Outlet seems to be really lacking in essential information.

Tim

My main concern is dual core vs. quad core. This pc will be dual booting Ubuntu and XP. I will probably play a few graphics intensive games. The majority of its use will be mulitmedia and internet stuff.

Will I notice any advantage of quad core? More importantly, any disadvantage over a dual core in any situations?
For what you are doing? No, in fact you would see better performance from a higher clocked dual than you would from a quad as most apps aren't threaded for quad cores and therefore cannot take full advantage of them.
And if you are going to be playing graphics intensive games, then you'll want something a lot more powerful than an 8600. You should be looking at a HD 3800 series/8800GT(s)/9600GT

Back
Top Bottom