New CPU - Strange Problems

DreamTFK

Beta member
I just installed a new E8400 cpu and I have updated the BIOS but I am getting strange problems. On first boot it told me overclocking failed so I went into setup to check it out and everything was default so I rebooted then the computer just hanged and nothing showed on the screen. It also says the cpu is running at 2.4GHz and the memory is PC-5300 (should be 6400)

I turned the PSU off then on then powered the pc on and got the same error so I pressed F2 to load defaults and then got some strange error about spooler subsystem failed and could not see my desktop then I pressed ok and got a BSOD mentioning Bootvid.dll - I have no idea what to do. My PC worked just fine before I uninstalled my previous cpu (E6600).

I forgot to so the system just froze. I put my old cpu back in and it booted fine and then I downloaded and flashed the BIOS. Once that was finished I put the new cpu back in and now these problems arose.

Can you put your E6600 back in and try a differnt version of the BIOS?

Usually there are several revisions, and each revision tells you the changes made..

try the one below the latest.. (assuming it has support for 45nm CPU's already)

What board do you have?

Your OS does not like you CPU.
Relaod Windows?

dude, this is not even remotely close to what the problem is, OP, what motherboard do you have...? maybe the FSB is only 1066 for your motherboard so the cpu is clocked down to 2.4ghz, it may also only support up to 667mhz DDR2 so the memory may be clocked down as well...

an E8400 at stock speeds (3.0ghz) usually runs at 333mhz quad pumped for a 1333mhz FSB, if the FSB is limited to 1066mhz it'll run 266mhz instead of 333mhz, add the 9x (266) multiplier and that's 2.4ghz...

dude, this is not even remotely close to what the problem is, OP, what motherboard do you have...? maybe the FSB is only 1066 for your motherboard so the cpu is clocked down to 2.4ghz, it may also only support up to 667mhz DDR2 so the memory may be clocked down as well...

an E8400 at stock speeds (3.0ghz) usually runs at 333mhz quad pumped for a 1333mhz FSB, if the FSB is limited to 1066mhz it'll run 266mhz instead of 333mhz, add the 9x (266) multiplier and that's 2.4ghz...

I think you are correct sir.

The bus speed was already set to 333 and Ram was set to auto. I turned the bus speed down to 266 (advice from a user on another forum) and manually set my ram to 800mhz now I am in Windows just fine.

I was hoping to OC this thing and I've had to underclock it lol. Does this mean I have to upgrade my mobo as well?

Oops sorry about that guys I am new to this forum and I am accustomed to having my sig displaying.

ASUS P5B Deluxe

Oops sorry about that guys I am new to this forum and I am accustomed to having my sig displaying.

ASUS P5B Deluxe

the highest rated FSB for that board is indeed 1066mhz, but you should be able to push it higher though, but you may not be able to hit 1333mhz, if you get a board with a 1333mhz FSB you should have no problems with that processor and even overclock it...

Back
Top Bottom