new Cpu compatible with motherboard?

Julian043

Baseband Member
Hello guys,

My friend now currently has a Intel i5-7400 with a GPU 2070 super.
This causes a huge bottleneck for him (average bottleneck percentage 67,82%).

So he is deciding to upgrade his CPU from a i5-7400 to a i7-8700K.

There might be a slight problem where I do need help.

Does his motherboard support the CPU?
His motherboard is a ASUS Prime z270-p.

When I check ''PcPartpicker'' it will say it's compatible.
However, on the ASUS site (https://www.asus.com/nl/Motherboards/PRIME-Z270-P/HelpDesk_CPU/)

It is not listed as compatible.

My question is, why isn't suppported? And what happens if we do use the 8700K with this motherboard?

Thanks!

(sorry for poor english :))

The i7-7700k is about the highest end CPU you can throw into that motherboard, and one of the more popular ones. Though, it is EOL and may be hard to find.

Don't look at CPU usage. Yes, it'll bottleneck but GPU usage is what shows the real picture.
The second question I have is, what resolution is he playing at and target refresh rate?

The real issue is in the game ''Call of duty modern warfare warzone.
In this game he is using the lowest settings possible with even render resolution set to 66% (100% = 1920x1080)
The game looks like a potato and even then he gets drops to 15 to 20 fps, with sometimes stable 30-40 fps.

He is using a 144Hz monitor but he set the screen refresh rate to 60.

Already tweaked some Nvidia graphic setting to make sure he runs everything on lowest settings possible with max performance set.

The lower the resolution, the more of a load the CPU has. Dropping the render resolution actually decreased performance in this case. That GPU can handle the entire game maxed out at 1440p. Hell, my fiance's 1070ti can handle it maxed out at 1080p. In fact, I'd be willing to bet it can handle RTX on as well at that resolution.

So if you can, try setting a render target at 1440p, turn ALL the options all the way on, putt his refresh back to 144hz, and give the GPU more load. If you haven't already grab MSI Afterburner and look at GPU usage while doing all this.

Thanks for the reply,

We have tried your tips. Went all ultra on everything. Yes the GPU percentage was around 80-90%. But there where still those lagg spikes.

Really weird. He had moments the fps was at a stable 120 to 130 fps. but then there still those huge lagg spikes.

The CPU usage was still at 100%, but the gpu usage went indeed higher when everything on ultra.

Still got some ideas?
And do you think this will be a less problem with the 7700k?

Back
Top Bottom